Can someone identify this plant for me.

us109, Jan 5, 5:27am

chelseabird, Jan 5, 5:29am
Montbretia Lucifer I think.

maclad, Jan 5, 5:30am
Sorry at the moment it's name escapes me but it is a nasty roadside weed which is very invasive and spreads rapidly. Would not want it in my garden.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 5, 5:31am
We knew it as Pride of London, or Fire of London, supposedly because after the blitz, these bulbs seemed to appear everywhere through bombed out homes and flowered that following summer. I don't know the proper name, but be wary of it, it's as hard to eradicate from the areas it likes as ladder fern is.

Pretty though, in bloom!

spiritofgonzo, Jan 5, 5:33am
yep. Also known as crocosmia

maclad, Jan 5, 5:36am
Yes Crocosmia

rainrain1, Jan 5, 6:23am
Sweet nectar, pull of a flower and suck the end!

us109, Jan 5, 6:42am
Thanks everyone. I think it's a nice looking plant. and I??

us109, Jan 5, 6:45am
That??

shanreagh, Jan 5, 6:59am
It is a weed, hard to control once it gets established so I would be very wary of planting it where it can spread. In a bed between two pieces of concrete in a path. In this link there are suggestions of less invasive plants to plants.

http://www.weedbusters.org.nz/weed-information/crocosmia-x-crocosmiiflora/59/

harrislucinda, Jan 5, 7:12am
I had that in my garden spreads by multiplying the bulbs
tm had a yellow 1 on said it was rare but since have read it is a weed Also a plant shop sells it as well

russell.s.c, Jan 5, 7:30am
I've had this on a number of properties and never had any problem getting rid of it.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 5, 7:43am
Really? I wonder what it was then, because the source was good, probably the cross ID of a kiwi plant was wrong.

I'll still call it that, as I haul the things out, lol.

koru67, Jan 5, 7:47am
Haha, I remember doing that as a kid.

kaylin, Jan 5, 7:43pm
Gosh I'd love someone to eradicate it from my property. I also thought it was beautiful and planted bulbs around the place. They didn't take, but the area of garden that originally had them hs gone mad.

This photo is taken directly out my bedroom window, and 12 months ago I had dug out (I thought) all the bulbs. I'd even dug down 15 cm and removed the clay soil. They've come back with a vengeance, obviously they don't feel overcrowded anymore.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/438270040.jpg

piquant, Jan 6, 12:42am
This isn't "Lucifer" crocosmia. Lucifer is a hybrid and is quite large, both in stature and flower size, as is the yellow cultivar mentioned above. What you have here is the species crocosmia (montbretia) which is actually on the surveillance pest plant list for your region. This means it has the potential to become a serious problem as an escapee. You certainly cannot propagate to sell it and you have to be mindful of how you dispose of it should you wish to. So please be aware that you do have a certain responsibility with regard to this plant. It produces heaps of tiny bulbules which make it difficult to eradicate (as kaylin has found) but we have the same mis-information as is the case with Agapanthus in the Auckland region. It is the species (orientalis) - the large growing aggies that seed everywhere that are banned - NOT the newer hybrids which are largely sterile and need to be vegetatively propagated.

mizp, Jan 7, 12:05pm
I have montbretia in pots in the borders - nicely crowded and dry. When they flower it's like a burst of fireworks flying out of the border - and it keeps them under control.

ruby2shoes, Jun 19, 9:02am
similar to a watsonia? Another horrid plant.