Dumb question about peanuts

shepa1, Sep 26, 6:40am
I have a really silly question. I would like to plant some peanuts as an experiment. Can I plant the raw ones from the supermarket or have they been treated somehow? Thank you for being kind!

rainrain1, Sep 26, 6:55am
Wonder if youtube tells you how

shepa1, Sep 26, 7:31am
Haha, I have asked Mr Google and the websites just talked about growing conditions etc but didn't actually say what to plant! I guess I will pop some in and see what if anything grows :-)

daarhn, Sep 26, 7:36am

gbking, Sep 26, 7:45am
yep just get the raw, cheap ones, you wont get 100% germination but at the garden centre I used to work at we used to get about 60% come up fine

shepa1, Sep 26, 8:01am
Thanks so much. That's exactly what I was hoping someone would say. Yay!

coralsnake, Sep 27, 9:17am
They love long hot summers!
We grew some in Texas - also kumara which literally grew like weeds! The only problem we had was whenever we wanted to dig some, we would have to get the lawn tractor out, raise the deck and make runs over the bed - to get rid of the snakes who liked to rest under the cool of the leaf growth!

survivalkiwi, Sep 27, 7:21pm
Sounds like a good reason to live in NZ.
I have seen peenut trees gowing on a property here in Marlborough.

lilyfield, Sep 27, 10:52pm
Lol at peanut TREES.

survivalkiwi, Sep 27, 11:48pm
Google it.

margos1, Oct 4, 5:04pm
Most supermarket ones have been heat treated in the shell. I have not seen raw ones in years, they were very creamy tasting, now they taste hard and cooked.

cleggyboy, Oct 4, 7:44pm
I purchased some in the shell and they grew, when I moved here I grew them again, mainly for the flowers (yellow) in the flower garden, they survived until the Autumn but then it was too cold for them and they died, never bothered again.

rupert85, Aug 24, 11:42am
If you want salted ones make sure the seed comes from a coastal area