Need a quick response PLEASE. ( Plumbing ).

yorkie13, Mar 23, 2:07am
We've just re-lined the bathroom and we're at the point of putting the taps back on. Is it ok to use thread tape as opposed to the horse hair stuff that was there when we removed the taps?. Many thanks people.

mertz131, Mar 23, 2:08am
Done that many times - have never had any problems

mertz131, Mar 23, 2:09am
Was that quick enough ? How many brownie points do I get?

biggles45, Mar 23, 2:13am
yep - we've done it many times with no problems.

mertz - you get a truck load of brownie points!

yorkie13, Mar 23, 2:19am
Thanks heaps guys. DAMN QUICK. Mertz you can have my brownie points as well.

johotech, Mar 23, 3:00am
Hemp and a sealing compound is always better for brass on brass. Especially with taps or nipples where any leak can't be seen behind the linings.

mrploppy, Mar 23, 4:01am
Horse hair is better with brass fittings as the tape can be shredded by the sharp edges - put several layers of tape on and it should seal OK.

johotech, Mar 23, 5:28am
What have you people got against horses?

omamari, Mar 23, 5:53am
According to my plumber ( who is 75 and still going strong) hemp and graphite grease is better on brass fittings because it doesn't seize and is easy to undo than thread tape. Thread tape seals just as well and is easier for amateurs to use

mertz131, Mar 23, 5:55am
Ouch.
Well intenioned, but ouch

bill1451, Mar 24, 8:39am
Thread tape for amatuers, hemp and pipe grease best, hemp swells up when its wetted , being a proffessional sparky and an amatuer plumber I use both.

comadi, Feb 23, 11:15pm
I'm way to late for brownie points ;-) but I have used thread tape on several occasions and being an amateur it usually turns ugly.
I never liked using hemp and graphite because it just doesn't look like it will seal good enough, but it is superior, and it is all I would use now.