Dodgy plumbing pipe

catwoman1974, Apr 5, 1:43pm
ALL plastic plumbing pipes are crap, even the grey stuff. Plastic pipes aren't rodent proof.

kenw1, Apr 5, 10:19pm
Neither are copper pipes.

Perhaps the only truly resilient solution would be galv steel, but then there is the corrosion problems with them.

kenw1, Oct 28, 7:14pm
What is the name of that dodgy plastic plumbing? and how do I identify it, what sort of year was it used?

Thanks, doing a once over on a house in the next day or two.

phaedra8, Oct 28, 7:45pm
Google is your friend :)

gbking, Oct 28, 7:50pm

kenw1, Oct 28, 8:00pm
Thank you for this link, that gives exactly what I was remembering.

Just hope some is visible under the house.

pauldw, Oct 28, 8:05pm
If it is there you'll probably see half hearted attempts to repair just the joint or pipe that was leaking. You really have to do it all.

kenw1, Oct 28, 9:22pm
Thanks, figured that it was an all out job, umm, just going through all the issues that could arise on in this house for our son that we are giving the eagle eye to. Then once we have done that he can get the professional in to see what else they spot.

Complete house replacement guessing 3 -6K single storey house?

kinna54, Oct 29, 4:50am
My Keith Hay home built in 1990 has Butylene pipe. I have had no end of failing joints over the years but it is only the crimp joints that fail never the pipe. I even found a pipe inside a wall completely pierced right through with a jib nail and it still didn't fail. I have been fortunate that all but one of my failed joints have been under the house and accessible thus not needing to rip off wall lining and the one that wasn't was accepted by my insurer.

pauldw, Feb 12, 4:51pm
I thought it was only joints but I found sections of the pipe that had been replaced with a metre or so of new pipe so pipe failure must be possible. AFAIK some insurance companies will accept a claim then refuse further cover until all the old system has been renewed.

There's nothing worse than realising that the faint noise you can hear in the wall is a fine spray of water coming out of a failed Dux connector.