SDP push-fit plumbing

biggal, Apr 17, 8:34am
Is it still in use and if so, is it any good?

johotech, Apr 17, 10:20am
Yes it's still available.

You won't find any plumbers using it. So make up your own mind from there.

Dux SecuraGold or Buteline systems are the most common products used in the trade.

biggal, Apr 18, 7:12am
Thanks johotech
The attraction was no special tools are needed- for crimping .say.
I am sick to death of the black alkathene stuff. Breaks down regularly
Cheers

johotech, Apr 18, 8:00am
Just buy a tool off trademe and sell it when you're finished. Otherwise hire one.

sr2, Apr 18, 9:55am
Have to admit (in my ignorance) I used a fair amount of it when renovating our house some 18 years ago. It was very easy to install, I was impressed with how well it coped with adapting to a late 60's copper system and has since performed faultlessly.

It is however not cheap; for a plumber there is little margin for mark-up and it's that simple to use it would be difficult to justify their charge out rates.

For small/medium DIY projects it's hard to go past.

brafe, Apr 19, 8:44am
Plumbers don't use it because it's shit! And prone to fail. On one extension I did cost the client (well somehow the insurance paid) 25k to replace "push fit " because it kept failing. That rubbish should not be allowed on the market.

pauldw, Apr 19, 10:53am
Dux Qest pipe and crimp fittings installed by lots of plumbers turned out to be a failure. I don't know of any evidence that push fit fittings on grey polybutylene pipe is unreliable if the pipe has been pushed in the reauired amount. Plumbers wouldn't normally use push fit because each fitting is a couple of $ more than a crimp fitting.

cagivachick1, Apr 20, 2:11am
plumbers dont use it because they dont want to come back to fix it

sr2, Apr 20, 4:08am
+1, I couldn't agree with you more.

tigger8, Jan 29, 6:45pm
used this "push on fitting" 20 years ago to re plumb old house which had black alcathene (?) copper pipe and galvanised pipe, have had no problems what so ever. was called acorn fittings (?)