Pipe and wire gate - can I add a wheel?

sumstyle, Dec 20, 5:01am
I had a wide gate added to my driveway last year, but its weight means it is now sagging at the latch end.

Any ideas on how I can add a wheel, given that the pipe is hollow - can I stick a shank up the hollow part of the vertical pipe, or do I need to drill through the horizontal lower pipe?

survivalkiwi, Dec 20, 6:03am
You can buy a springed gate wheel from m10 bunnings etc. I just bolted it on.

seadubya, Dec 20, 6:13am
Is it hanging on threaded gate pins? If so, tighten the top one a few turns to take up the sag. Or buy a clamp on wheel.

sumstyle, Dec 20, 7:29am
Thank you both. No to the threaded gate pins CW

captaingraham, Dec 20, 7:05pm
clamp on wheel and 2 u clamps/bolts. Exhaust repair shops will have a size to suit your pipe frame if M10 does not.

cleggyboy, Dec 20, 7:52pm
Depending on the level of your ground, when I built my large steel gates I slotted the top hinge to compensate for the slope of the ground, it works well.
If there is spring loaded wheels out there, they will work also, but remember the spring will corrode with time.

rupert85, Dec 25, 8:16pm
Mount the wheel 2/3 of the length from the hinge end and the gate will move smoothly ,mount on the end and the movement will be jerky .Learnt this from motorising cow shed gates

grangies, Dec 25, 10:50pm
Repco have 60% off jockey wheels for boxing day specials.

A jocky wheel can be easily adjusted to the required height and it swivels 360' .

golfdiver, Dec 26, 12:11am
Places like wheelco will find you something purpose designed

annies3, Jun 29, 9:45am
A wheel would work fine, but the gate should not sag if it is hung correctly and the post it is hung from is large enough and has sufficient bracing.