Painting problems - looks patchy

parsondian, Aug 28, 12:44am
I painted a bright yellow over a dark purple, first applied an undercoat, cut in around the ceilings, doorways, etc, and have rolled 3 times. I am annoyed that things are so patchy still around the cut in. Will painting over again amend this patchiness ?

johotech, Aug 28, 12:56am
How many times did you paint around the edges? You'll need at least as many coats on the edges, as it took with the roller to cover on the main part.

parsondian, Aug 28, 1:20am
I've done it at least 3x. I'll do it again, perhaps its just me being a perfectionist others say its alright, but I know better.

trad, Aug 28, 3:32am
Maybe a better quality paint would not require so many coats to cover a dark colour.

maddie44, Aug 28, 5:28am
May not be your problem but
I tried many times to remedy patchiness like that. Gave up on it when somebody pointed out to me that you can't paint out shadows.

pskpinks, Aug 28, 10:47am
If the paint around the edges was applied thicker [with a brush] than the thinner rolled coats you get 'framing'. More coats may even it out so it isn't so noticeable. I usually do around the edges with a small speed brush foam applicator as it is a thinner coat and is more easily covered by the roller and less likely to create framing.

sally63, Aug 28, 10:52am
Haha,you have just made my day:)

don735, Aug 28, 11:40am
painting is a trade thats your main problem, try rolling as close to the edge as possible then using a cutting brush to cut in after rolling this will help with the picture framing even better
why not employ a resene eco decorator!

kletis1, Aug 29, 7:04am
did you work to a wet edge or let the cutting in dry? that will leave a picture frame finish as you seem to have decribed.

don735, Aug 29, 11:28am
cant work out what you are on about kletis1 pleased read what is said then ask the question
or employ a resene certified eco decorator
everyone is a painter until there is a problem !

kletis1, Aug 29, 8:33pm
Blah blah blah mate. ever thought i might be a painter and one that knows their shit.Pretty hard to offer a fix without seeing it anyway.Hahaha Resene certified 'eco decorator'. whatever.

parsondian, Oct 14, 3:49pm
Hey interesting guys n gals, I allow the cut in to dry before rolling kletis1, I always use Resene paints and have done another room using this technique with marvelous results (perhaps it was the color) I'd not heard about picture framing and yep that's exactly what I have although perhaps its more noticeable because I am the painter and see every thing I'm not 100% happy with. But it is a darkish hallway with lots of doors and therefore shadows so Maddie44 I do like what your saying. BTW thanks everyone for your input helps me understand how to improve my painting technique for the next room, I would love to employ a painter but I've plenty of time on my hands and not enough $ to be doing that.