Raised garden beds

owen106, Jan 1, 2:04am
How much wee do I need to put down?

annies3, Jan 1, 2:38am
I thought someone might pick up on that lol.

mothergoose_nz, Jan 1, 4:25am
put empty milk bottles in the bottom. this was done near me. the tops cut out of some of them. it helps take up space plus water goes into the bottles and the garden will not dry out easily

summersunnz, Jan 2, 2:56am
Cool idea Mothergoose - would probably work if soil is dug out of a lawn to make a garden, put the bottles in then replace soil.

maclad, Jan 2, 3:20am
I made mine out of what ever I had available at the time, but then I pick up odds and ends of timber all the time. Ended up buying only 3 x 6' x 2"x 2"posts. Used mostly plywood, painted, with some kwila 200 x 25 and I put fibrolite on one side. Cost next to nothing, even the soil and compost came off my section. The fibrolite only lasted a year but I figure by the time anything needs replacing I will have more timber or will have money to replace bit by bit as it will not all fail at once. Meantime it works well.

jia5, Jan 2, 3:25am
Worth making wicking beds if you are making a raised garden. I emptied my raised garden box and and did this.
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=wicking+beds&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=7UCHVuCiNIG1mwXe0IOADQ#gws_rd=cr&imgrc=-OuiEpyDajWtTM%3A

kaylin, Jan 2, 7:14am
Use empty pellets. They're free. And not treated. You certainly don't want treated wood for growing vegetables!
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=pellet+garden&oq=pellet+garden&aqs=chrome. 69i57j0l3.4169j0j4&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=BiVzmQCUQBw0NM%3A

Edited to add - you can grow veges in pallets placed horizontally too if your garden is small. Pallets certainly reduce weeding.

autumnwinds, Jan 2, 8:48am
If you're going to the trouble of making raised gardens (and it's worth it), it's worth putting in an underground watering system. They're cheap to buy (often on sale at the "Red Shed" or M-10), easy to run, and connect easily to the nearest tap.

You can simply disconnect the usual hose each time you want to use the underground system, or - as or if you can afford it - get a spacer board to attach several hose attachments, even an automatic timer.

Trust me - a little bit of time and money spent putting this in at the same time you build the garden is time and money VERY well spent, and your garden and plants will love you for it!

cakeandtea, May 11, 3:47am
Good afternoon. Just brought our first home. I want to try and grow as much food for my family as I am able to with our small garden. Does anyone know of anywhere I could get some raised beds or if we go down the root of making them ourselves what kind of wood to use. Thank you.

asue, May 11, 4:07am
You buy kitset one's from bunnings, mitre 10, the redshed. They are just as cost effective as building yourself.

cakeandtea, May 11, 4:20am
Thank you for that. I will investigate.

junie2, May 11, 4:20am
Those metal ones from TWH and Bunnings are quite good I've heard. .I have all raised beds, some wood, some brick, some plastic bottles. Have never bought anything. Mine is a very productive garden, but you might want something prettier of course.

kiwiguy47, May 12, 7:17am
We make ours out of corrogatted iron

junie2, May 12, 7:36am
Yep, that too - with lengthwise-split hose on sharp edges.

mack77, May 12, 10:48am
I recommend that you make them out of concrete as you can make them any height that suits you (e.g. 1m) and it lasts forever. It is non toxic unlike timber which will be treated with an arsenic compound unless you can afford to buy some type of hardwood.

cakeandtea, May 13, 8:28am
Good Evening to all that replied. Many thanks for your kind advice. Anneli

tintop, May 13, 8:42am
I made a few from 200 x 50 treated pine. They are lined with thick polythene which is protected in turn by 7mm Hardies fibre cement sheets, I generally make them 1m x 2m and 400mm high. A bt expensive, but they will last me out. :)

Joining the corners can be by bolting through to a 50 x 50 garden stake batten nternal at the corners. A couple of 8mm x 100mm galvanised coach bolts at the end of each plank will do.

kindajojo, May 13, 8:46am
Some 1200mm posts and retaining wall timber. the timber comes in about 6 meter lengths so you can get Bunnings to cut it 3m x 3m or 4 m x 2 or any combination. Then screw it all together . put a layer of wee at on the ground and put the bed on top or use a couple of layers of cardboard fill with good quality soil a bit of compost and away you go.

edenrose, Jun 4, 8:38am
The bottom layers can be weeds etc, cardboard, paper, wood chips to help keep costs down. Next manure, compost, seaweed etc ending up with the better soil. Our beds are 3m long and 1.5 wide, otherwise too hard to weed the middle sections, they are around 40 cms high, a good height for sitting on to weed.

celtic15, Mar 31, 4:42pm
excellent subject to know just what goes into our bodies