Landscaping. Help, Ideas. Dunedin.

kernal1, Feb 18, 8:29am
New home, large, almost unformed section. Paving, drive way, planting ideas, help? Owner quite capable of building, laying pavers etc., help maybe needed with plants, shrubs. Frightening price from a Co in this business, could have added rooms for less!
Has anyone been down this avenue? Please share ideas and experiences!
Thanks.

books4nz, Feb 18, 3:35pm
Yes, and it's very rewarding creating it all :-)
We spent some time wandering around garden centres, taking the section layout plan, looking at plants, asking lots of questions, what they'd recommend, etc., that would grow here.
We also walked around streets in the area - what grew in the vicinity would probably grow well here too, what was looking great that we liked, got talking to people if they were outside their homes, asking for suggestions.
Then, it came down to deciding what colours we like of the trees and plants we saw - and that helped with the decisions we made.
I definitely recommend planting fruit trees and a vegetable garden - we're currently eating grapes, blackberries, raspberries, nectarines, 2 kinds of peaches - yummy Blackboy & Golden Queen's - 2 kinds of apples, cranberries and plums, all planted 3 and 4 years ago. And lots of veges and herbs too. They all taste way better than shop purchased fruit.
Adding, top soil would have been removed for the house site and immediate surround, and may have been left in a pile as it sometimes is for a new home. Definitely spread that to give good soil for growing plants and lawns. adding more if needed - we added two truckloads of topsoil.
Also, do a search online for ideas - if you like yellow flowering plants, do a search for 'yellow flowering plants NZ' - then upper left of screen, click on 'images' - and have a look for flowers you like, trees, etc.

devine-spark, Feb 18, 5:48pm
How about you draw up a rough plan of the section complete with everything you have, such as driveway. Also include where the sun direction is (North) and which of your important rooms open up onto or overlook garden. Take a photograph and post on here. Then we might be able to make some suggestions. Best you plant the types of plants that suit the purpose you want, and also will suit growing in the conditions you have.

neldav, Feb 18, 8:15pm
Take your water hose and lay it into the shapes you want to landscape your garden. Easy to shift around and gives you a good idea of garden lines before you dig and plant.

rainrain1, Feb 18, 9:06pm
Rhody's do well in Dn

maccachic1, Feb 18, 9:42pm
Send in a pic to a garden magazine? The sad thing for Landscape companies is people want them to give them a design for free and then go off and do it themselves (there is a load of work ivolved in doing a property from scratch). That's why loads don't want to do designs - my fiancé was a landscaper for 10 years (which helped with our own gardens).

kernal1, Feb 19, 7:37am
Thanks. Already paid $1500 for a design and further bill to come for small alterations and a quote! Latter was for less than 1/2 work and not a plant in sight! This price was nearly as much as a 'verbal price' for everything, given that it had to be done properly! Planting maybe not such an issue, all suggestions taken aboard but more paving, driveway, possibly lawns.

brightlights60, Feb 19, 7:45am
Mrs B here. Just did this for a friend as part of a Hort Diploma. I went around and did a plan of the house on the section, complete with measurements. Personally, hubby and I went around a lot of show homes to see what sort of "new" garden could be done which would tie in with what the "client" wanted, and what sort of budget. The first thing you need to put in place is your "hardscaping" which is your paths and driveway. Once that was sorted, drew up the gardens and what to put in them. You need to think about where the sun is, what sort of plants love the sun, which do better in shade. Do you want soil, bark, stones.Stones are big at the moment, different textures in different parts of the garden. You need to sort out irrigation and lighting if you want them first. What sort of soil do you have? You need to add something if its too dense or too light. A good easy thing is bioblend or similar, from any of the garden centres. Things like mushroom compost lighten the soil. There are so many ideas, break it down into where you want, if any, trees, and buy them first. You can source your plants cheaper than your garden centre, or you can make a plan with your garden centre, they give discount for bulk. We bought a lot off here, smaller grades that took longer to grow, but were half the price. Also, if you are after old fashioned plants, look for a garden group in your neighbourhood or city. Elderly gardeners love to share! Look up websites for landscaping ideas, borrow books from the library. You can download free programs off the internet to help you. My friend is a landscape gardener and has a cool 3D programme that allows you to walk through the finished result.

piquant, Feb 19, 8:29am
SOME relevant info on here. The biggest issues in my book are the issues concerning any relevant structural elements (things like retaining walls or even if there is likely to be run off from other sections), the knowledge about good design elements and also the knowledge of plants and their place in the landscape. It is of absolutely no value (either aesthetically or financial - ie adding value by landscaping) to do things a) in the wrong order - b) to choose totally inappropriate plant material (just because you happen to like it!) and c) totally waste a whole lot of dosh in the misguided attempt to save a bit. Having said that - I am not against people with a keen interest and a good eye making a very determined effort to do it themselves. BUT if you are new to all of this there is a good deal of value in at least getting a concept plan done by a QUALIFIED designer or Landscape architect. A concept plan will give you an informed layout but will not include a planting list or scaled working drawings. You don't say what sort of size of plot we are discussing here or, indeed, if it has any peculiarities that might need special treatment. Your $1500 bill seems fairly pricey for a concept (especially as you say the bills are still coming in) but if you could indicate if we are dealing with a large or difficult site - this may ameliorate the costings. Given that the value of a properly landscaped property is estimated at 17% of the total value it does make a lot of sense to get it right - first time. I don't know why it is that the perception of landscaping should be cheap and cheerful - it is a very skilled and physical job and knowledge in the whole gamut is quite a rare thing. Usually you find landscapers have skills in hard landscaping but not soft - or vice versa - if you can find one with both - you are doing well. I think my best suggestion is to take your time. See where your favoured spots are and where there might be issues (things like wind funnels and frost holes) and really, you can only do this by living in a place for a while. Your structural plantings (big trees) need to be planted June/July for best results - especially if they are deciduous. Lawns can be laid/seeded either in autumn or spring (depending upon the temperature and rainfall) so possibly, if you are looking at a pile of dirt and just want some order - think about putting down to lawn and maybe plant your structural trees this year and spend the winter months planning and designing (with or without professional help) your garden. One thing I would seriously suggest is that you PLAN the whole area. Doesn't mean you have to do it all in one hit but unless you do an overall design you will find you'll be busy undoing bits to fit the next bit in - and that is never a good or productive thing. Happy to guide you along if you would like but half of the fun is learning all about it!

kernal1, Feb 21, 6:36am
Again many thanks for all info given. Very helpful but section is almost flat, retaining walls have been put in where required, hopefully since starting this threads lawns maybe sorted as required for both young children and animals! Landscape plans received 'copyrighted' but mostly in line with owners ideas as aware of sun, situation, outdoor living. Maybe I have been a little misleading but was looking for ideas, businesses who maybe specialize in forming driveways, paving, a helping hand. Owner is capable, hard working, has over seen house being built, done a lot on a limited budget . but I would like to help ( also limited budget!) to help get grounds as visualized. Know plants need time to grow!

piquant, Jun 7, 8:34pm
If it is of any help whatsoever, I am a plant broker. I no longer have my service ad on here but happy to give you an obligation free quote for plant supply. My contact details - see my listing. Otherwise, best of luck with the project - you seem to have it all under control!