Sleeper Screws/Landscaping Screws

chris.f, Nov 11, 8:15am
Any idea if you can get these in NZ? They are long screws used to join timber when making railway sleeper steps etc and tightened with a power tool, Seem them on American how-to videos and they sell them in the UK under the Timberlok name but nothing in NZ that I can find.

cabrio1, Nov 11, 8:20am
They look very much like roofing screws. My neighbours uses them for everything lol.
I have some about 100mm long, must be able to get them longer though.
Try roofing suppliers.

golfdiver, Nov 11, 8:23am
Do you mean bugle head timber screws? They come in 100 and 150 mm lengths and very strong. You can get large roofing screws too but the bugle headed ones are brilliant

corky, Nov 11, 8:49am
Large galvanised coach screws from Bunnings, Mitre Ten.

happychappy50, Nov 11, 8:50am
Bugle screws are ideal come in all sizes 50mm - 150 mm Konnect & Bunnings carry them M 10 don't,all you need us decent impact driver or low geared screw gun.

chris.f, Nov 11, 9:39am
All good ideas, trouble is the sleepers are 150mm and I need to have half the length of the screw going into the second piece, so need at least 225mm long.

chris.f, Nov 11, 9:57am
Problem solved, found some on the Mitre 10 site, Otter brand, 16G X 250mm bugle head, expensive at $139 for a pack of 50, but should do the job.

blue35, Nov 11, 10:02am
At that price, try bolt wholesalers like EDL

happychappy50, Nov 11, 6:34pm
@$2.80 each is ok or you could drill a hole the same size as the head partially through the top one & use a 150mm either way should sort your prob,btw I have used them for yrs even on a jetty in salt water used stainless for that,still going strong after 8 yrs,price was prohibitive yet it worked,lot easier than using nut n bolt or coach screws.

golfdiver, Nov 12, 6:04am
Steel and tube fastener division. I get the 100 mm ones for 19 cents each

golfdiver, Nov 12, 6:07am
I have railway sleepers for garden edging. Put them in flush with the lawn and drilled a hole through then sledge hammered a couple of 500mm lengths of rebar through the holes . Pity the poor bugger who tries the shift them

happychappy50, Nov 12, 6:09am
Great deal Golfdiver,I'll have to have a word with my S i L then,I use them all the time thanks

happychappy50, Nov 12, 6:10am
With the bugles,yes reo is great when you are doing that,done the same cheers again

golfdiver, Aug 2, 7:52am
To be fair to them I have a yearly spend in the hundreds of thousands , so I expect a decent rate