What is wrong with my tomato plants ?

Page 2 / 2
kam04, Dec 21, 1:33am
Thanks piquant. I see in a number of other posts that planting in ground should be the way to go. It seems strange that all these years I've been using pots with good results until this season. As I mentioned, the type of potting mix seemed a lot courser this year than in previous years. Maybe the word 'soil' wasn't the best word to use but there seemed less of the finer material in the mix than others I've used before. Also as I've mentioned my methods haven't changed to previous years the only difference is the consistency of the potting mix. I have a small amount of fruit growing on the plants and these are near the base of the plant, the first trusses. The fruit & flowers dropping off are at the top. I might change to in ground planting next year and see how I go. The reason I prefer pots is no - ground prep needed. Pots are scrubbed out at the end of the season and fresh mix every year.

maclad, Dec 21, 1:40am
It is not always a good idea to grow the same crop in the same place every year even tho they may be in pots. Any disease on the plant will stay in the soil and on your greenhouse for ages unless you steralize completely and in your case this seems a bit over the top. I would still be moving those plants out of the heat and see how they do. In saying that I have had sad plants before but they have always fruited and produced fine.

cleggyboy, Dec 21, 1:51am
Edenlite used to have a bubble plastic which was green in colour, also UV protected, it fitted on the inside, it acted as a shadecloth during the sunny days and helped to keep the frost out in the winter acting as a extra insulation. But it was very expensive. They also put out a green paint one could paint on the inside of the glass which was a cheaper option.

kclu, Dec 21, 4:25am
I think it could be this too. Google it.

cantabman1, Dec 21, 7:06am
Nods head agreeing.
I buy a lot of potting mix each year to grow well over 900 swan plants to sell.last year, I had a number that died, and worked out that a batch i had purchased from a NZ wide garden centre had a residue spray still working in the compost; most likely from lawn clippings.
I now buy cheaper potting mix from The Warehouse [just] and have not had any problems this year.
The other possibilty is too much food, this can also do in a plant.

family007, Dec 22, 6:46am
I have a tomato plant doing the same thing. Always the one in that spot. It's nearest to the door. The problem you have is too much change in temperature i.e. cold to hot to cold. What are your other plants like? If they are normal then I'd suggest you don't plant in that spot.
Also what variety see you growing? I've found two that grow well under glass and they're Potentate and Peron also Hamlet. Just a few ideas there! Off to delateral mine now. ???

kam04, Dec 22, 9:05pm
All plants are the same, check my photos. I grow moneymaker, always have without problems.

suzn47, Dec 27, 6:40pm
. another idea.Some low life has snuck in and sprayed them. Have you annoyed anyone who would do this type of thing?

kam04, Dec 28, 2:10am
Have put shade cloth over the glasshouse and there has been some improvement.

bluefrog2, Jun 27, 2:13am
If the pots are getting very warm to touch in the sun, then the roots in the pot are going to be getting hot and dry and stressing the plant. Shade the pots, and try to water into the pots without wetting the leaves. Or if you spray down the whole plant, the leaves have to have time to dry out before night.
For pots like these, you DO have to water every day, like the plant nurseries do. Basically, you can't let the soil dry out completely. Stressed plants will also be more susceptible to diseases.