Marigolds question

rainrain1, Nov 24, 10:38pm
Should I remove the lead flower from those pottles of marigolds once they are planted!I don't mean those big common ones, but the smaller flower variety

crackerjack19, Nov 25, 1:04am
Some of the plant are grown so that they cannot reproduce from their seed but as a general rule "dead heading" of flowers allows for more flowers to be produced. Calendula's which are called marigolds in many countries would no benefit from this treatment as they just grow lanky and weak, and one needs the seeds to grow more (about 4 crops per season). Marigolds are usually grown because they are a deter-ant to many nasty soil living grubs and the like that attack other plants (Nemitodes being one such pest)

rainrain1, Nov 25, 1:18am
Wow, thanks, that's a big fat answer,I think I will nip out the centre flower anyway, hopefully they will branch out with more buds

kateley, Nov 25, 4:19am
If you're asking whether to pick out the first flower bud on new seedlings you have just planted, then yes, it's a good idea and encourages the plants to grow more bushy - not sure what you mean about big common ones and smaller flowered variety tho, sorry

kateley, Nov 19, 9:52pm
ok, thanks
your large and common ones are calendula (excellent for late winter colour)