Cleaning Rimu

trade4us2, Jan 20, 5:51am
I got some new Rimu mouldings many years ago, and now they are a grey colour. I want to oil or varnish them.
I've seen advertised something to clean wooden decks to make them look like new timber. Does anyone know what it is? Or anything that would do the job? I don't want to sand them as they are concave.

mrploppy, Jan 20, 7:48am
I find these products good - I am presently using them to refurbish rimu doors.
http://www.easypaintstripping.co.nz/default.aspx

trade4us2, Jan 20, 8:16am
But there is no paint on the Rimu. The mouldings have been sitting in the dry underneath my house for about 15 years, and have weathered.

newtec1, Jan 20, 8:41am
There is a product for teak which is for exterior and needs a waterblast after applying,but that wouldn't work on dry rimu. i think the only way is to sand them.

newtec1, Jan 20, 8:43am
That product for decks you will find it needs a waterblast first,and then the product you are thinking of is Cabot's

brafe, Jan 21, 11:05pm
Sanding is the best way.

socram, Jan 22, 5:54am
Agree, sanding.

Interior use. Coat with CD50 oil (normally for cedar) and buff. The joy of using the oil is that you can add more whenever you like.

If you don't want to use the CD50, I'd use Danish wax. Have successfully used both on Rimu

Aquadeck - I wouldn't use it again on the deck, but ironically, it works very well on water-blasted cedar! Over hyped - and on decks, wears patchily on Kwila and similar hard woods and is really hopeless on older pine.

rainrain1, Sep 13, 9:45am
Can't you rub them over with very fine steel wool, then Danish oil, repeat many times till desired effect. I completed a table top that way and was thrilled with finish

Edited to say I sanded back the table first to get the colour