Painting quote ?

cameron-albany, Jun 23, 9:04am
Keen to hear a BALLPARK of what people would expect to pay for this.

1 x lounge, 1 x bedroom plus small kitchen and bathroom. Repair 5 or 6 small holes (caused from furniture damage). Paint over wallpaper, plus ceilings. Acrylic only, no doorways or window sills etc so not enamel/oil. No internal cupboards or anywhere 'not visible.' The job will take 3 1/2 - 4 days.

BALLPARK what would you expect to pay ?

golfdiver, Jun 23, 7:19pm
I wouldn't paint over wallpaper. No idea on the price though, have you taken quotes?

jonners2013, Jun 23, 8:18pm
I would have thought 4 days sounds like a long time for the amount you've described.

budgel, Jun 23, 9:03pm
My guess is that four days allows for the wall repairs and each coat to dry, not on the job time.

My ballpark: $600 plus materials.

johotech, Jun 23, 9:22pm
Maybe they should hire you!

I would guess $1500-$2000 & materials.

pisces47, Jun 24, 3:06am
Had a quote for bathroom and toilet. $1650. Guessing this will cost you $2500 to $3000. Thats why I do most of this work myself.You could get a capable kid to do it for an hourly rate. Would cost around the $600 mentioned

roys351, Jun 24, 6:33am
bit of a risk using acylic over paper without pig seal first. could end up a re gib job

budgel, Jun 24, 6:54am
Its a big ballpark and you just caught me out!

artemis, Jun 24, 6:59am
Lots of cheap painters, cheap paint and cheap prep out there. You get what you pay for though. Which is probably either an inadequate job, a painter who doesn't pay tax or both.

cameron-albany, Jun 24, 9:51am
OK thanks all for your feedback.

The job came in at $4300. It is exorbitant. I took about 3 and a half days and I'm not sure if they used a sealer as you can still vaguely see the wallpaper stripes through the paint. If they'd used a sealer you wouldn't be able to see anything - I've renovated many houses and had excellent painters who have used the pigment sealer and it's held everything back. the finish was like velvet.

I am SO angry - this job was for my old mother who has just lost her husband and she unfortunately accepted a blind quote through the retirement village manager and really had no idea what she was agreeing to. I'm furious. Will be taking it further but I want to see what the breakdown of costs is first - the invoice simply states "as agreed". Unacceptable.

jezabeel, Jun 24, 10:00am
How many painters on the job?

cameron-albany, Jun 24, 10:07am
That's what I want to find out - I think there was only one (but possibly 2 for some of it).

brighteyes16, Jun 24, 10:36am
I don't know that the price was exorbitant, not if it was done correctly but it obviously hasn't been. Sounds to me like the wallpaper should have been stripped.
You should have a case with the commerce commission.

johotech, Jun 24, 10:46am
Sounds like you know how it should have been done. Hope you can get some satisfactory answers on this.

I too would be angry about tradespeople, and possibly the village manager, taking advantage of an older person in that situation.

cameron-albany, Jun 24, 10:56am
thanks all. I am always happy to pay to get a GOOD job done but this hasn't been a good job and I feel so sorry for mum. (The two window frames in the living and bedroom areas weren't touched, but they're tired and cracked. a sand-back and refresh of these ought to have been done for that price at the very least). Cheers again for your opinions.

via356, Jun 27, 12:38am
Disputes Tribunal? I was looking this morning because we have had a job mucked up that cost about a third of that. Yours is still below the threshold. Has she paid? We haven't yet. Because, if you have the choice the obvious thing is to hold back until the job is done right and to a proper standard. Don't know much about building, but I think I do know that.

golfdiver, Jun 27, 4:05am
The invoice shouldn't have to break the price down. The Quote is where that is detailed. I can't comment on the job done, but in the end the quote was to your mother via the resthome, so really you should have taken a look before it was accepted instead of wailing now don't you think?

cameron-albany, Jun 27, 7:06am
Completely agree with you but unfortunately we were never given the opportunity to even see the quote. Had we seen it, we would never have accepted it. Yes mum is at fault - she accepted it through her own inexperience and naivety. That's not the contractor's fault but what is the contractor's fault is doing a crappy job for an unacceptable amount of money. Thankfully the Consumer Guarantees Act has a bit to say about that. And why shouldn't I "wail" ?! Sorry, but where does it say people shouldn't complain if they believe they got a raw deal ?!

d.williams, Dec 5, 6:53am
The have robbed you , no painter is worth $1000 plus per day.