Black Potatoes

overtt, Apr 9, 5:15am
well,more specifically ,deep purple
are they worth cooking?

buzzy110, Apr 9, 5:29am
There is a perfectly good varieties of potatoes that have purple skin and white/cream flesh, purple skin and purple flesh, purple and normal skin with purple and normal flesh in a sort of stripe. Did you plant one of these or do you think your potatoes have some sort of disease?

overtt, Apr 9, 5:49am
They are purple skin and flesh
they were growing in proliferation at the place we've moved to

skye7, Apr 9, 6:26am
They taste sweeter than other potatoes but not as sweet as Kumera. They make awesome chips (just sprinkle with olive oil and salt and cook in the oven). They can take over a garden, so as they 'pop up' decide if you want them to continue, or remove them.

samanya, Apr 9, 6:36am
Firstly, have you tried cooking them? How did they go? For a few seasons now, I've grown some that were called Maori potatoes a heritage variety apparently, . Personally, I wasn't that fussed on them because they 'mushed' no matter how carefully I cooked them, but of course there are a few variables re growing any potatoes & it could have been the seasons or other climatic conditions, like drought & not enough water. who knows? Unless they have been exposed to the sun for a while & gone green/purple . I doubt that they are diseased as someone suggested.

samanya, Apr 9, 6:40am
I've never tried chipping them . that could be a plan, thanks.

mothergoose_nz, Apr 9, 6:42am
they make a potato salad interesting .ones I grew were never very big. a bit of a novelty. bigger than yams

twelve12, Apr 9, 6:45am
If they're anything like the ones I used to grow, they're AWESOME. Really dense and waxy.

Boiled with a big knob of butter on the top. Beautiful.

overtt, Apr 9, 7:22am
Cheers all
might give them a whirl

junie2, Apr 9, 9:45am
They make a beautiful potato salad with chopped eggs and green peas and chives. Our garden is full of them, they pop up everywhere, so I just cook and eat'em along with all the other sorts we have. A spud is a spud!

issymae, Apr 9, 10:51am
steam or bake rather than boil

buzzy110, Feb 8, 4:54pm
Yes. Just like 'normal' potatoes, the 'Maori' potatoes come in a variety of different textures - sweet, waxy, floury, etc.

Using the right fertilisers, they do grow bigger to a reasonable size - probably not as big as you can grow normal potatoes, but big enough for one to be a handful.