Potatoes. What times of the year can you plant them

cantabman1, Jan 1, 9:13pm
Anytime in the Summer, as long as they will be ready before the frosts come.Spuds usually take three months, depending on wether they are sprouting already, and or have been left out earlier to harden off.
Some here in much earlier threads, said they had them to dig after 7 weeks, but for me its always taken at least 12 -14 weeks. I'm in CH CH.

sticky232, Jan 1, 10:14pm
I planted some in planter bags and the stalks were that high on them and were in flower. Decided to pull them out and see nothing underneath them i dont know wether i havent watered them enough or to many in the bagi put 4 i think you are only meant to put 2 so i dont know what i have done wrong but stalks are huge

cantabman1, Jan 2, 7:37pm
You should never have pulled them up before all the flowers have died off; usually about 2-3 weeks after flowering, and water,water, water but not enough to drown them.

pj044, Jan 2, 7:50pm
We planted spuds at labour weekend. As yet, they don't have any flowers on them. What's up with that! They were meant to be ready for Christmas.
Do they have to flower to produce!

thq, Jan 2, 11:24pm
1st timer here .but i dig my xmas morn still had live flower on them and they were great.

kateley, Jan 2, 11:34pm
the early ones (like swift and rocket) don't need to flower before you dig them,Have a fossick around the plants and see if you can find any tubers

cantabman1, Jan 3, 7:12pm
Yes , you will get some spuds doing that, but had you left them a few more weeks, you would have got more than double what you dug up.

kaddiew, Jan 3, 7:26pm
That's always my problem - so impatient for waxy baby spuds that I don't get the best yield I could from them.

wizid, Jan 4, 12:27am
iam just ready to plant my winter crop now .

thq, Dec 31, 4:29am
what times of the year can you plant them!

gardie, Dec 31, 5:32am
Any time provided the frost won't get them.I start quite early (August/Sept) and keep on going until I know its going to be too cold.There are potatoes more suited to early/mid/late plantings however I just use whatever is around (or sprouted in my pantry) with good results.I also use Potato fertiliser and plant them very deep - no mounding needed.

southerngurl, Dec 31, 6:41am
Was talking to mum about this, She said Dad used to plant early for Xmas spuds, and then plant now for Easter spuds. Any idea what breed they'd be. I'm thinking about one of those popup planter bags.

helianthus, Dec 31, 6:55am
I grow Jersey Bennes to be ready for Christmas and various maincrops for later.

guest, Jun 2, 2:50pm
Linda - what a thought prvoikong post! I am sorry to hear you and your mother have been so unwell lately. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I wish that 2012 will bring some relief for you both and that despite the challenges you are facing that it brings you joy. Best wishes for a brighter 2012!

guest, Jun 5, 9:40pm
98kNZ1 yxgoxtrxksam

guest, May 24, 12:11am
4tkU2u tbuysfdenpte