How to grow basil

browndog2, Nov 20, 6:34am
i just don't have any luck at all with this.any tips

creek, Nov 20, 6:42am
I grow them in pots and just put around the tunnel house

spuddie5, Nov 20, 6:54am
Don't over water them, apparently since the roots are so fine they rot easily.

browndog2, Nov 20, 7:52am
do you grow them from seed!i adore the stuff and would love to be able to grow it!

tlharrex, Nov 20, 8:08am
I am growing some from seed in potting mix in old toilet rolls on my kitchen window sill and they are doing ok. Reading post above I'm thinking I may have over watered them early on as seemed to have good strike rate then die off after a 2 days or so. Other than that growing them this way has been good and I will plant them (including toilet rolls)into the garden when they get a bit bigger.
Mrs tlh

mokaumoi, Nov 20, 8:52am
They like to be planted close to each other, and not over watered. I grow them in clumps, and keep the tips pinched so they get bushy and not spindly.

azriella, Nov 20, 9:42am
A very sunny warm spot too. THey'll take off in a month or so.

lythande1, Nov 20, 6:10pm
Te Anau, probably too cold.
They like HOT. You will have to use a glasshouse but unless it's a great summer that still won't help.
Try a different variety, there's sweet basil, purple basil and globe basil.
Globe is a bit more tolerant.

herc18, Nov 20, 7:35pm
I have grown basil in large 2 litre olive oil tins with holes drilled for drainage on a sunny windowsill, only water in morning so not wet overnight.Now I am shifting them onto the deck during the day and inside over night.Harvesting alot and all growing well except the purple basil which just dies, in Nelson.

mottly, Nov 21, 1:22am
NZ gardner just had a big spread on this - they said the roots need to stay damp at all times.and loves the heat.

shop-a-holic, Nov 21, 1:29am
Sadly, I planted 5 seed mats of Basil weeks back. Then it poured down.No show from seeds.Poor buggers. I killed them!Thanks for the comments on this thread; now I'll plant something else.:-)

mottly, Nov 21, 1:33am
oh, apparently it grows well from cuttings - put them in a glass of water till the roots sprout.

illusion_, Nov 21, 2:19am
easy as.

open pkt of seeds. tip into hand. sprinkle on garden between tomatoes or whatever. done. I get heaps every year this way.

basil, like so many herbs, is a weed. treat it as such and it will flourish

lythande1, Nov 21, 2:26am
illusion - you live in a hot area.
Ever been to Te Anau! No.

illusion_, Nov 21, 2:55am
same applies

just later

and yes

annies3, Nov 21, 3:05am
Mine is a bought plant which I put into a pot in the conservatory doing really well have used heaps of it, I think it likes to be picked.

browndog2, Nov 21, 5:26am
well fyi it was 27d here today.But we also have an amazing glasshouse.so while it can be cold here it can also be dam hot

2young1, Nov 21, 8:21am
have planted some in garden and some in pot. the ones inpot doing very well. the ones in garden riddled with holes from snails maybe.

pezarointeriors, Nov 13, 9:52am
I never have any success on their own but plant them at the base of a tomato plant.They love each other.The basil will thrive.