Under floor insulation

Page 2 / 2
pauline999, Apr 27, 6:11am
I had the polystyrene between the beams underfloor in my 1940's house but replaced it with the polyester as the polystyrene kept slipping out of place as the timber moved.Makes a significant difference with polished floors.

tweake, Apr 27, 6:35am
i think your meant to use those clips to hold the sheets in with.
the thing i don't like with polystyrene is it need to be cut to fit. any gaps means heat loss. polyester is so much easier to get a good fit.

i know someone who got polystyrene sheets and nailed them under the joists. that enclosed all the timber and stops heat loss through the joists.
but you need something inbetween the joists to stop air flowing from one side of the house to the other.

crackerjack19, Apr 27, 10:44pm
There are at least two types of polyester " blankets" that I am aware of one is for draping over/and between ceiling joists and really is in a blanket form.
The other kind is of stiffer product for putting between floor joists (under floor). Our home was done using these two types and the difference was really outstanding.

famrhy, Jan 21, 5:40pm
hey mate yea id remove it for sure. it can sweat and sit on top of your new insulation :0