What is this weird plant?

melagray, Nov 13, 3:09am
I got some great help on this forum recently with some red berries so here I am again!
It started growing in my yard and the paddock next door a few years ago and has been allowed to spread in the paddock. The horses don't eat it.
I never worried about it but someone told us that she'd been weeding it and her arms went numb. She thinks it's toxic. I really want to read up on it but haven't been able to find out its name.

My cat is currently in the vet and we don't know what is wrong with him at this stage so the sooner I can rule out this plant or blame it the better.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/425158508.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/425158573.jpg

whatanenigma, Nov 13, 6:08am
euphorbia? Leaks out a milk that is not the nicest and can effect some people

melagray, Nov 13, 7:11am
Oops, I've always thought people who started double threads were silly and now I see that I did it and don't even know how!

summersunnz, Nov 13, 11:36am
Hi. take a piece to a garden centre, or email them with a photo, to ask what it is. Hope your cat is ok.

summersunnz, Nov 13, 11:38am
Just saw your other thread, best wishes for your cat.

mcdaff, Nov 15, 10:56am
I think it is probably Euphorbia terracina one of the weedy species which is an invasive pest and causes problems in many countries, including south and west Australia. Google it - the sap is poisonous but I couldn't see a cat consuming it on purpose. I guess if the cat brushed again some cut stems and them licked the sap off its fur would be harmful. If it isn't that species it is another euphorbia.

lyingnun, Nov 15, 5:03pm
I love it if it is the one with purple flowers. Somebody told me it was called Jacob's ladder but other s have said it's not.

anjouc, Nov 16, 1:02am
It's not Jacob's ladder.

sophie98, Nov 17, 7:40am
No its not Jacobs ladder its got a different leaf.

impressions, Nov 18, 3:46am
Mose in the basket

parryduck, Nov 18, 5:55am
Euphorbia without doubt. It will seed for many, many years, but luckily, it's easy to pull out. Do so, before it flowers. I have been trying to get rid of it for 8+ years now.
If you get the milky juice in your eyes (usually from your hands) be prepared for extreme pain, and, in the case of my bro, who has Alzheimers, 3 litres of saline being poured over your eyes.
Nasty plant really, which is a shame, as it is quite attractive

bluefrog2, Jul 26, 6:00pm
I vote Euphorbia too. Break off a stem and check for milky white sap. The sap is caustic, do NOT get it on your skin or eyes. Wear gloves and goggles if you're going to be chopping at it so the sap splashes about.

However, even if the plant is dangerous, I don't think your cat would be dumb enough to try to eat this.

EDIT: If you get some on your skin without knowing, and go under sunlight afterwards, you'll get an immediate sunburn on that spot. It stops your skin from protecting itself from UV rays. The burns can leave scars. Get out of the sun immediately and wash the affected area.