Help with spray painting garage roof please

tub4, Apr 22, 7:04am
Im pretty sure you need to use an airless sprayer for acrylic paint.

trade_menow, Apr 22, 7:27am
if your neighbours have there cars out on there drive / street might pay to ask them to move them - or you could end up upsetting them with overspray
other thing to point out that spraying on the paint is quite thin so will probally require several coats whereas rolling it on will give you a thicker coat and you wont have to ask your neighbours about moving anything :)

mrfxit, Apr 22, 8:49pm
DING ;-)

Unless you want to get up there several times to spray a decent coat, then I wouldn't bother with spraying a roof.
It generally goes on too thin to last very long compared to a good brush coat.
Careful brainy ppl can get a good spray coat but it takes a lot of care & consistency & "know how" to get it right 1st time.

THEN

Theres the overspray issue which you don't get with brush brush + you can brush paint in a light breeze.
Try spraying in a slight gentle breeze & see what happens to the spray.

If theres any vehicles/ houses/ washing etc local to your shed! I really hope you have insurance cover to suit

mrfxit, Apr 22, 8:51pm
Any type sprayer will do if you have the right nozzles & pressure to suit the thickness of paint

sooby, Apr 22, 9:01pm
cheers fellas,

I should have mentioned paint is waterbased.

Overspray will be limited by our 12ft hedge and no neighbours cars around, but I see your point!

mrfxit, Apr 22, 9:08pm
Mmmm so what color are you painting the hedge!

Pink for breast cancer awareness day
Bright Green for Irish day
Bright yellow for begging the sun to come back
Orange/Red & Yellow for 3 fruits a day promotion

elise24, Apr 22, 9:12pm
Definitely go airless spray. Pressure pots are too slow and don't put enough paint on. And a little tip, trough section steel and airless spray will use at least 50% more paint than a flat surface.

skin1235, Apr 22, 10:59pm
look again at brushes and rollers, you can get rollers to suit that profile, very quick to use, puts a decent coat on, a good brush will do the ridges faster than you can spray too, with a lot less hassle too
do the ridges with the brush first - quicker and tidier, and excess laying in the trough will be taken up into the roller on the second swipe

its a garage roof, if it were the entire 4 bedroom house and all the sheds then sure use a compressor with long leads off a pressure pot and go nuts, but for a shed its hardly worth the cost and effort

airless guns are good for what they do, they carry a lt, and need refilling often, lots of often on a roof

personally a roller, a tray, and a brush, and it would be finished before you'd done one side with a spraygun

mrfxit, Apr 22, 11:05pm
Why not both,
Yea it's a bit more work but the spray coat on top would seal up any brush marks very nicely & provide a thick brush coat & a smooth finish.
Would only need to be a fairly speedy spray job on top.
Can't see any issues if done within a week or 2 apart.
Both have advantages & disadvantages

elect70, Apr 23, 4:59am
Get/hirea pressure pot & hosesthat way dont need compressor on the roof or to refill thespraypot . Did my100 sq m house decramastic roof indaywiththateasy as.&water based paint can be washhed offoversprayedareas

hort1, Apr 23, 5:18am
Airless is the way to go as for putting it on to thin that is not correct. I allow around 8sq mtr a litre using a 517 tip The beauty with airless it puts paint up under the laps once you get use to using one you will never paint a roof any other way. As for cleaning that is not a biggie either I use a strong mix of sugar soap and a few different size brushes and a old tooth brush. I would be more worried about the weather and temperature.

spiritofgonzo, Apr 23, 6:40am
I did a roof exactly like that with a soft bristled broom, with a long handle.Works great.

sooby, Apr 23, 9:17pm
I had heard the same, just not for my roof profile specifically.So the broom was similar to this one: http://www.mitre10mega.co.nz/shop/laundry_cleaning/brushware_cloths/browns_push_it_broom_355mm_324291/

spiritofgonzo, Apr 24, 5:40am

ebygum1, Apr 24, 6:34am
I have been watching this thread for a few days,I hesitate to offer advice these days as there are so many differing opinions,but I believe the soft broom is sound advice,I have used it in the past with success,I also believe an airless spray used by an experienced painter will give a good job. Good Luck.

anne1955, Apr 24, 6:36am
Sorry haven't read all this just see me doing this painted the same colour as roof :)But I can do that inside as well :)

hatchback, Apr 25, 8:21am
I can airless spray a 1200 square foot house roof (hip or gable, 18deg or 26deg) in about two hrs and that lays on about 25ltrs (one good thick coat).bit quicker than a brush

kiwibubbles, Apr 26, 1:09am
i have exactly the same roof on our house - we just used a sweeping brush - worked quite well

singing1, May 18, 3:41pm
Part of the problem for a compressed air type spray system is that when spraying into tight corners the air travels into the corner and holds the paint out, not coating the substrate properly.this is why the airless system is way better for your job. It is just paint being forced at very high pressure (2 - 3000 psi) through a tiny hole in the spray tip which causes it to atomise and form a spray pattern. A spray tip on the airless gun will have a number on it, say 415, which tells you, 4 (x2 = 8) means an eight inch fan and 15 is the size of the orifice in the tip, 15 thousandths of an inch.which would be an ideal size for roof painting you could use a larger tip for thicker material but for a DIYer it is probably ideal. Hope this helps you make a decision.
PS with an airless you will not need to thin the paint but pump it direct from the bucket.after a good stir, of course.