Plant ID please This tree is spectacular.

maclad, Mar 31, 9:57pm
I have no photo yet as camera flat but will post later. This tree is probablyevergreen about 6 metres tall and covered in large pink flowers. So many the foliage is hard to see. Each flower is about 5" or 6" wide with 5 petals and the top half of each petal is bright pink with a pink border extending to the base. The lower half of petal is creamy and marked with broken maroon lines.
Leaves have long petioles 4" or more and are 7 fingered with regular serrated edges.
It is growing in Tauranga, Cameron Rd, close to Pyes Pa end. TIA

stevee6, Mar 31, 10:03pm
Wrong time of year for dogwoods to flower, otherwise it would be possible. Look forward to the pictures.

stevee6, Apr 1, 12:17am
Closest I got was caesalpinia pulcherrima, but the leaves are wrong. Love the flowers on your sample.

4bes, Apr 1, 12:36am

maclad, Apr 1, 1:03am
4bes looks like you got it correct, thankyou. It really is the most lovely tree, totally covered in blossom.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 1, 2:15am
Want.

spiritofgonzo, Apr 1, 3:01am
chorisa speciosa, or ceiba speciosa (pronounced say-bah).It is on the weed list in the bay of plenty.

maclad, Apr 1, 5:25am
Surprise, this is the only one I have ever seen.

sharkus, Apr 1, 7:17am
Yeah. Chorisa speciosa, seen a few around auckland

deathrockboy, Apr 1, 10:07am
What weed list is it on! I can't find any reference to it being listed. (on here http://www.boprc.govt.nz/environment/pests/pest-plants-and-weeds/weed-index/)
It's pretty tender when young, so would have thought it was unlikely to be a weed!
There's one at the university in Auckland central, full flower at the moment.
It's not very common.

spiritofgonzo, Apr 1, 5:38pm
I have for years known it to be on the undesirable tree species for tauranga, and there is an extensive list around in which this species is listed.Having said that, I double checked and it's not on any 'weed' list as I stated.It's probably on the list because of the thorns . the councils up here have some funny ideas, so you can probably ignore my weed comment.

jcd19, Apr 1, 8:22pm
The flowers look very much like Chorisia. If it is, the trunk is green and covered with spines.
A rare tree- you cant propagate from cuttings, and seeds are very slow and unreliable.

I had a spectacular specimen that the new owners chopped down without even looking at it. horrible thing to do.

maclad, Apr 2, 3:17am
Thanks everyone. Perhaps I'll watch and maybe get some seed. Love a challenge and as it is not a "weed" then perhaps if I'm lucky I could list some on here.

spiritofgonzo, Apr 2, 5:40am
yeah, sorry about that.Not a weed, just on the councils 'do not plant' list.Big difference after some research.Plant away.Also, I know the tree you are talking about, it's on Cameron road in the western bay of plenty council property.

maclad, Apr 2, 6:11am
you are so right and you must admit it is one very pretty tree.

deathrockboy, Apr 2, 10:41am
Do you have a link to their "do not plant" list!
I would be interested in the logic in including this plant on it - it's not toxic as far as i know and the spines are more curious than lethal - you'd have to wrap yourself around the trunk to be damaged by them!

They have been listed on here before - as "monkey no climb tree" (but this name seems to be used for several other things, all with more lethal looking spination!) as the spines supposedly prevent monkeys from climbing them.
They are related to Baobabs, in the hibiscus family.
Apparently not self fertile but the tree in Auckland seems to have pods.

deathrockboy, May 8, 8:15pm
It's currently listed by Russell Fransham Subtropicals if anyone is interested.