Flatscreen TV to buy or avoid

taipan4, Mar 31, 11:16pm
Need a new flatscreen as our 5 yr old sony bravia had a power surge, insurance will pay up to $800.00 the main brands seem to be Sony Panasonic & Samsung, but of course the retailers are pretty much out of stock (in ChCH anyway) Anyone had good or otherwise experiences with Samsung or either of the other two.!

rsr72, Mar 31, 11:24pm
Shops are flooded with discounted TV's of all kinds.
Any of those are very good.
Go for an LED screen, minimum 47",with everything, Smart, Full HD, 3-D, etc.

p_rock, Mar 31, 11:40pm
And a surge protector.

tmenz, Apr 1, 1:36am
Make sure you get one with all the connectivity you require - HDMI, A/V, component, computer VGA, DVI etc. Many of the cheapies are sadly lacking in this.
For my money, avoid Sony - go with Panasonic or Samsung.

tigra, Apr 1, 1:47am
Even the cheapies have at least2 hdmi AND 1 usb and of course component,its the Wifi and other connectivity that is usually lacking also some are still not full HD.

lythande1, Apr 1, 1:53am
SOny - not anymore.Panasonic, yes.
Samsung, yes.
Avoid any other dodgy brands.

tmenz, Apr 1, 7:18am
My neighbour bought a cheapie and it has only 1 x HDMI and 1 x A/V.
Of course he had 4 different devices he wanted to connect to it!

tigra, Apr 1, 7:28am
How long ago!i was looking at Plasma's today around $700 and they all had at least 2 HDMI and USB. Some around $900 had 3 HDMI etc.

eagles9999, Apr 1, 7:57am
You wont get much change out of $1500 for that spec and size even in today's competitive climate.

trade_menow, Apr 1, 11:39am
order from jbhifi's website and its free delivery problem solved

paull, Apr 1, 11:44pm
Samsungare great and picture quality is a lot clearer in my opinion,

zak410, Apr 1, 11:52pm
samsung are good
at playing many different file formats

brapbrappy, Apr 2, 12:13am
So why did he buy one that didnt suit his needs!

tmenz, Apr 2, 1:43am
Exactly - because people put blinkers on when they see specials - hence the warning!

coralsnake, May 8, 6:55pm
I bought a Panasonic though only a 32 inch but same is available in larger sizes.Was only $50 dearer in Dick Smith's sale than lesser model.Full HD, Viera app to enable a smartphone or tablet to be used as a remote, media player,Wi-fi ready, 4 HDMI slots, 2 USB slots, SD card slot.Can record the channel you are watching.

It's got many features I will probably never use but they are there for when the kids and g'ks come over.

Some of the Panasonic's even have a Trade Me App!

Suggestion -go to manufacturers websites and have a good look.That's what I did before hitting the stores.

Also at the same time, bought a really heavy duty surge protector at DSE's [on sale as well].