Watertank Cleaning

trader_84, Mar 18, 8:50pm
How is this done! . does it involve a waterblaster and climbing in or something! The tanks in question are 22250L ones, plastic in construction and feature manholes in the top. We have a water blaster and skinny arsed teenagers to slip down the hole. Hows it all done! We are after the DIY approach and believe we will be able to achieve the same results as a pro would - but need some pointers on how the task is undertaken.

purplegoanna, Mar 18, 9:30pm
yip done it, youve got to keep an eye on the water blaster pressure so that it dosnt actually damage the plastic.other than that go for it.keep the blaster outside the tank.

wratha, Mar 18, 9:34pm
We cleaned our tank on Sunday night (preparing for the rain), we used a skinny arsed teenager too hahaha. Our tank is concrete though, we didn't bother with the water blaster, just used the hose cranked up, a stiff broom and lots of buckets and a little plastic shovel for the last dregs. Came up a treat.

trader_84, Mar 18, 9:48pm
Ahhh yip yip, thanks for this.

oldbnz, Mar 18, 10:23pm
If you have those fine mesh traps on your downpipes you dont end up with near as much gunk in your water tanks

stevo2, Mar 19, 5:21am
Good question, we have one we want to do as well (Bailey tanks 13,500lt) but I dont think even the "skinny arsed" teenager would fit through the manhole. How do we get on there!

trader_84, Mar 19, 6:17am
You be suprised what they can do for you (skinny arsed teenies) when you threaten to cut off the plug of their net connection with a pair of sissors.

mrfxit, Mar 19, 7:17am
Those Karcher "pressure sprayers" are good for modest pressure.
Remember that who ever goes in there is going to NEED a GOOD set of air muff's because an empty tank echo's like crazy just from voice, never mind a water blaster & MUST BE SUPERVISED at all times because slip over accidents are really easy inside a big tank.
just need someone on the outside to be around, thats all.

1 more hint, DISCONNECT any & all the outlets at the tank face, you can fit an over sized pipe to redirect the flow but the std 25mm pipe outlets when still fitted with the house pipes can block easy if theres a lot of rubbish in the tank.

Not common BUT not uncommon for drownings to happen when not supervised

mrfxit, Mar 19, 7:22am
a very long water blaster pipe & a good set of strong steady arms to control it, (plus those air muff's).

sanders4, Mar 19, 7:25am
I sit on top of mine and use the swimming pool leaf mesh basket unit on the extendable alloy pole, gets most leaves but not all of the grit.

mrfxit, Mar 19, 7:25am
Inside the tank, it would also be a good idea to wear plastic safety glass's or face shield + jeans & long sleeve shirt .
It's pretty surprising how much sand gets in those tanks & a waterblaster will whip that all up & sting you like a good sunburn after a while.

Shoes
Jeans
Long sleeve shirt
(OR overalls)
Air muff's
Face shield or safety glass's
A companion who WILL stay outside the tank till you climb back out

mrfxit, Mar 19, 7:26am
Seriously, been there done that & seen a few ppl get in trouble or suffer for a few days afterwards.

trader_84, Mar 19, 7:44am
Yeah, I hear you sir. I was thinking there might be safety considerations.This little operation will not be treated lightly by us. Ta for the insight.

mrfxit, Mar 19, 7:48am
BITE ME . sir ;-)

mrfxit, Apr 25, 2:19pm
Yea nah ,. it's easy enough apart from the arms getting tired & the head spinning off balance when looking up or down AND turning around .

Think . >> sea shell to the ear & amplify that by LOTS

Take your time working out distance from blaster head to tank surface & how much cleaning pressure you REALLY do need AND what the tank will withstand.
Might seem a little complicated but in practice it's not hard