Basic plumbing help

wendalls, Feb 19, 10:19pm
I have just undone a bathroom sink pipe and cleared a blocked drain. Now I cant get the pipes connected without leakage. Massive leakage. It appearsto be coming from between the screwy bit and the first small piece of bendy pipe. I have tried re doing it several times and it does not appear cross threaded. There does look like a gap that shouldnt be there but i cant close this once tightened. Any ideas other than calling a plumber! Thanks

jills3, Feb 19, 10:34pm
Hell plumbers are so expensive and travel time.If it was me,I would put a bucket under the sink to catch the drips,then I would take my pipes to Plumbing World or some plumbingbusiness thats close to you and see if they can screw pipes back together properly,then you can go home and try again.

shanreagh, Feb 19, 10:37pm
Don't plumbers usually pit some sort of stretchy plastic tape on these joins! Perhaps ask for this tape too.

wendalls, Feb 19, 10:40pm
yeah but its the bit that screws directly into the sink bit.so no can do. and too much water for tape. thanks anyway.

pauldw, Feb 19, 10:45pm
Have you lost the rubber washer that should be in the gap!

wendalls, Feb 19, 11:03pm
was wondering about that. cant see anything but will look harder.

d.laidlaw, Feb 20, 12:25am
Is this in PVC and is this where the PVC connects to the sink!

Is the waste part of the bowl or a seperate unit.

Between the top of the PVC pipe and the threaded pipe from the bowl there is usually a washer, mine have been a light blue colour and almost seem like plastic.

wendalls, Feb 20, 12:29am
cant find anyrubber washer. What colour would it be! Black!I will have to take the piece to a plumbing shop and ask if it is missing one and get one. What a pain. I dont reckon it was there to start. It should have been well wedged in.

lythande1, Feb 20, 3:02am
Some aren't.

lythande1, Feb 20, 3:03am
LOL, stretchy plastic. Depends on the pipes, there is hemp and then there is thread seal tape.

elect70, Feb 20, 4:10am
Buyroll of thread tape, rolli t intoaline & wraparound theflange &then screw it backup.All else fails call the plumber.

caspar26, Feb 20, 5:19am
sound like it might be a flat trap washer missing usually black or cream in colour. you can buy blue ones to fit

ebygum1, Feb 20, 5:41am
Sounds like you have lost a washer or O ring.

emz24, Feb 20, 7:29am
Washers are usually blue or white.

wendalls, Mar 16, 8:44am
Well i went to bunnings and found a blue o ring washer thingy and voila fixed it. Thank you everyone!