3. Beetroot then Brassica
4. Peppers/Lettuce Then Onions
5. Potatoes
6. Strawberries
7. Bush Beans then Brassica
8. Potatoes
9. Tomatoes
10. Strawberries

Thats the areas (of about equal size) we have (excluding pumpkin/corn patch), that probably could do with a rotation system.
We are in north canterbury and except the brassicas and onions the bins will be done by april of our main crops. So how do i rotate these areas the following year.

spiritofgonzo, Feb 18, 5:48am
I can't understand your system sorry.However, the trick is simple really.Lump veges into 4 types:1. Roots and bulbs (beetroot, carrots, onions, leeks, garlic etc); 2. Green leafy (brocolli, cauli, cabbage, lettuce); 3. Legumes (peas, beans, potatoes).4. fruit (tomatoes, cucumber, eggplant etc).Don't plant the same thing in the same spot for preferably 4 years.Also, follow legumes after the greens because the greens rob the nitrogen and the legumes then put it back.

spiritofgonzo, Feb 18, 5:49am
There are a few different versions of this, and I just make sure I move my veges around and don't plant them in the same spot every year, up to 3 years.simple

studentkyle, Feb 18, 6:25am
Thanks guys.i get the rotation system.but im brassica heavy in terms of the veges we want so trying to find a way to minimize the risk/maximise the benefits. Above are the 10 plots to run thru the bulk of summer. with 7 and 4 hanging over into late autumn. So if each of those plots was year one.what moves into what plot the next year.

stevee6, Feb 18, 7:03am
Leave the strawberries for at least two years - three is even better.You could then use those plots for potatoes, also the plots you used for brassicas, and add peas and beans. I tuck lettuce and mesclun, also baby carrots, radish and beets into any spare spots. Tomatoes go into the plots you added compost and lime to during winter, and then wait two years before using that plot for tomatoes again.

donnabeth, Feb 18, 9:03pm
I have one tunnel house and one long narrow raised garden, Last year I got club root in the tunnel house, so removed the soil and replaced it, but still don't want to plant brasscias or radishes(which I didn't even know could get clubroot), which leaves it wasted space in the winter time. I grow three potatoes inside, 6 outside and move them along a section each time, followed by peas and tomatoes. Last year Ihad broccoli, caulis and cabbages growing in the flower borders. Do sweetpeas replace notrogen! Their rots go very deep and I always gig in lots of horse manure before planting.

astroflight1, Feb 18, 9:46pm

studentkyle, Feb 19, 6:48am
thanks astroflight1 but the jist of it is that i dont want my bins to be one one crop/year wonders and that i want lots of brassica space.ive got a rotation in mind that should see me thru 1.5yrs per repeat brassica but will see how it goes.

curlcrown, Feb 19, 9:22am
In practice rotation of crops has no, or negligible benefit on a small scale like a home garden.

studentkyle, Mar 17, 7:53am
im not doing it so much for pest removal as for keep the soil nutritional sound for the next crop.