Wallpaper stripping

westown123, Feb 19, 8:48pm
What's the easiest way to remove wallpaper frombathroom,top layer comes off ok but left is the 'backing paper' of the wallpaper, beigy colourthanksalso amconsidering replacing paper with a paint,what the best paint to use in a steamy bathroomappreciate anyideas

zak410, Feb 19, 11:49pm
-Wet the backing paper generously, then scrape off.
-Check carefully the joints of the gib boards and the internal corners for the quality of the plastering and for any sign of cracks.

If/when the walls are of a good finished quality,
-Use a wall-board sealer first. then sand that lightly.
-Use a water-based enamel for the top coats.

dibble35, Feb 20, 1:03am
If you're lucky after thouroughly wetting the backing paper and leaving to soak in, it might peel off in strips with minimal scraping required. I've tried vinegar and washing liquid in the water you spray on and to be honest i think plain water works just as well

jezabeel, Feb 20, 4:34am
Hot soapy water brushed onto backing paper.The secret is to figure out the correct soaking time before you try and scrape it off.Sometimes it will need to be soaked 2 or 3 times before its ready to come off.
You will need a very good stopper to get it up to paint finish standard as being a bathroom it will have to be semi-gloss which shows up far more than low sheens.

fordkiwi27, Feb 20, 7:44am
low sheen acrylic enamel is all good in a bathroom. so long as you have a fan

westown123, Feb 21, 2:08am
thanks for all the helpfulhints,think I have the idea now.

tillsbury, Feb 21, 2:17am
Garden 5 litre sprayer from Bunnings or wherever, fill with water from the hot tap (as hot as you can bear), and a tiny bit of washing up liquid.Spray on the walls liberally.You will (as said above) have to identify the right delay, some papers will be good in 2 minutes, others in 5.It will come straight off immediately when you get the timing and soaking right.Use a 4" or 6" wall scraper.Watch your fingers -- repeated scraping over the plaster surface will hone the scraper to a razor sharpness!

awrenn, Feb 22, 1:03am
We just stripped our entire house - BOILED water into a bucket & paint brushed GENEROUSLY onto the wall. 1st the paper peeled off with ease then did it again & the backing paper just slid off the walls :-)

Cheers
Andy

olivia1, Feb 22, 3:03am
We use a mix of hot boiled water and white vinegar. Worksa treat as long as the paper is not too old . You have to soak it alot and once the mix goes cold is not as effective. Just mix up a little at a time dependent on how difficult it is to remove the paper.

tigra, Feb 22, 3:12am
Trouble with a 5 litre sprayer is that the hot water soon goes cold. Personally I find it much eaier to use a 1 litre spray bottle which you can keep close to you.Never found that adding white vinegar made any difference just detergent and hot water. works well

zak410, Mar 17, 8:58pm
A roller is also good to wet the walls.