Water pump whining just refilled tanks -no water

wendalls, Feb 21, 6:43am
Do all water pumps havea safety cutout for when the water runs out so as not to damage the pump! Pump is making high pitched whining noise and UV lamp is on fail. Filters and uv lamp changed 7 months ago. Just filled up the pool so assumed we drained tanks. Looked low but cant say for sure if the level is below the inlet pipe. Last time we ran out the pump was still making noises as if trying to work.

timbo69, Feb 21, 7:43am
No not all pumps have dry run protection, I would suggest when you buy your pump (probably tomorrow by the info you have provided)to ensure it has the dry run controller - probably a 300 pump depending on you requirements, can recommend a guy on TM called mike who sells well priced pumps - and get some water!

wendalls, Feb 21, 7:55am
Thanks Mike. It doesnt surprise me as the last owners replaced everything on the cheap and the pressure from this pump was not great.Yes I already got the water! Was hoping the noise would go away once water present. We are going away for the weekend so not likely to get anything done before i leave at midday tomorrow.yay home to no water on Sunday pm. I may have to go with a company who will give me a loan pump and buy off them if neccessary. Will look for Mike's listings now tho.

wendalls, Feb 21, 8:22am
ok so I have looked at pumps online a trademe shop. not sure on what the 300 is you refer to. They are listed in HP eg 1.4. We have a large home and often need the hose running for 2 hours to fill up pool. With old pump this would turn off and on ! header tank caused! and I thought would knacker the pump pretty quick. Correct!Some are self priming and others not which leads me to ask whether mine just might need priming! Also some need to be gravity fed and my waterpipes come from beneath the ground. may need a good discussion with pump person.!

favouriteseller, Feb 21, 7:45pm
yes can need repriming if run dry ,
with mine , I just take off the outlet pipe, and with pump running, pour water into the outlet

dunwoody, Feb 21, 8:42pm
Your system is full of air. Turn on the tap nearest to the pump and let the air out. When the water starts runnig turn that tap off and turn on the furthest tap till the air is all gone

elect70, Feb 22, 3:39am
If it has plastic impeller then running dry willcause it to seize . ( All chinese made pumpsare plastic inpellers ) . Most likely have air lockdo as above

timbo69, Mar 18, 5:51pm
I think you jinxed me - i just ran out of water, glad i have dryrun protection!