FORAGING EXPERTS! .Or those who love to forage.

Page 1 / 3
popelka1, Feb 11, 1:42am
I've recently become obsessed with the River Cottage TV series, espeically when it comes to foraging. What do you forage for!, and what area!
Who here forages for things that are "unusual' or not concidered "normal" lol (you'll see in a minute why I ask that!.

I have a whole acre next door of wild blackberries, they are big fat and sooo delicious! I've been making jam's, jellie's and pie's for weeks now! Also have walnuts, have given some away to someone who makes walnut schnapps, will give that a go next year, but deiced too try Blackberry schnapps since i have so many and OMG! YUMM!.
Apples hanging over the fence a few houses away, have been told take what you like when you like!.Now.the weird stuff.

Have just recently learned that "onion weed" is actually edible and can be used much like a spring onion, the flavour is much milder though, so when I findpatch of those I'm in!.Also gorse flowers used in the making of an alcoholic beverage (River Cottage again, but i missed the spisode so Google shall be my friend shortly!) and today, my newest one which I want to get to serious grips with before trying it out.Black Nightshade berries EEKKKK! I hear you scream! But not all nightshades a re poisonous to eat apparently.

The common as muck one found in abundance in my acre section next door is apparently the edible variety which i am not willing to try until I find out more! (damn shame the berries look sooo good at the moment!) especially good in jams, jellies and pies BUT ONLY WHEN THE BERRIES ARE FULLY BLACK!.On that subject has anyone used black nightshade berries for jams etc!.I read someones post in an old thread from Oct last year, saying her sister makes them into yummy Jam.I'd love to know more!

So, what and where do you forage, this could start into a foragers collective!

lamzam, Feb 11, 1:49am
Me and my brothers ate S**T loads of them when we were younger.Never seem to have any problems, That I can recall.

popelka1, Feb 11, 1:51am
Thanks for that, i read they don't have much of a taste! I'd go try one but I dunno! Not that confident yet lol.
Did you eat them raw or cooked!

pericles, Feb 11, 1:52am
i have eaten the nighshade leaves heaps of time

popelka1, Feb 11, 1:54am
I read they weren't too great lol, how have you eaten/prepared them!

patxyz, Feb 11, 1:54am
Puha (Sow Thistle) & fennel

popelka1, Feb 11, 1:55am
Keep the ideas and the foraging foods lineup going, have to tend sheep.back later :o)

pericles, Feb 11, 1:55am
mother in law makes them.
Partner is Niuean and it's a staple diet for them

popelka1, Feb 11, 1:56am
Hmmm.Now fennel! (before I go lol) is that the one that looks and smells like aniseed! that grows wild on roadsides!and has a green foliage top that looks like dill!

pericles, Feb 11, 1:56am
correct

popelka1, Feb 11, 1:57am
can you share a recipe by chance!, please and thank you :o)

patxyz, Feb 11, 1:57am
Yep
More of a garnish than 'food'

popelka1, Feb 11, 1:58am
thank you ta! :o)

pericles, Feb 11, 1:58am
will have to ask her how it's done

pericles, Feb 11, 1:59am

the bulbs are nice roasted

lamzam, Feb 11, 2:14am
raw had lots of flavour if they were ready. Not very sweet when green tho Still we are all alive.LOL

popelka1, Feb 11, 2:20am
well, if i don't post anymore messages after a while, you'll know whats happened to me. LOL

rsr72, Feb 11, 2:42am
Yep, shot off to Pack and Save.

popelka1, Feb 11, 6:55am
Still alive lol, went and foraged another 1.5 kg of big fat blackberries, jam and pie day tomorrow :o)

olwen, Feb 11, 7:11am
Elderberries make a variety of good products (including wine) if you have any growing round your area.Mine are ripe now.

dezzie, Feb 11, 7:11am
Are you making blackberry and apple pies, yummy!

amasser, Feb 11, 9:23am
Dr. Oz strongly recommends eating walnuts daily for good health - one of best nuts for anti-oxidant properties, I think.

popelka1, Feb 11, 8:19pm
Yessss, lol, will be making them today, one for tonight and some for the freezer for winter. I asked the Mr for a big plastic rubbish bin with a lid for my valentines day pressy so I can try out some gorse flower wine, apparently it's almost like a Pina Colada, according to the episode of River Cottage I watched the other day on how to make it.

popelka1, Feb 11, 8:20pm
Unfortunately ours are small tight walnuts, not the nice yummy ones, so next season i plan on utilising them and pickling them, apparently delish with blue cheese!

trading_gibsons, Feb 11, 8:23pm
Make sure that the blackberries haven't been sprayed & remember to pop them into some water as sometimes they have worms (they will come out rather than drown if there are any in there)