Rhodo question

jaybee38, Nov 16, 9:28am
Have a large, oldish rhodo that was moved about two years ago and quite a lot of it has died back. Very few leaves, but its flowering so must be hanging in there. If I cut it right back, is it likely to help or will I finish it off! There are so many dead branches that it looks terrible, and Id like to get rid of those. If I can cut it bac, whats the best way to do it. Its about 2.5m hight and Id like to cut it to about 1m.

ro42, Nov 16, 9:51am
They are supposed to be pruned in early spring, but you should cut dead wood whatever time. You cut back to a growing point (ie where there is a branch or bud). Should be fine :)

spiritofgonzo, Nov 17, 3:51am
I've been told that rhododendrons don't like being cut back more than 30% at a time . or they sulk

fleur59, Nov 17, 5:08am
cut out all the dead wood and go from there. If it has finished flowering , time to prune.take it back about a third of the good growth then more pruning after it flowers next year.

Also feed it now and again in autumn

net_oz, Nov 17, 7:58am
You have the right idea. Prune it back hard now. It should really have been done when first moved. You can actually cut it down to less than 50cm and it will come away again better than ever.

tui93, Nov 17, 8:19pm
Are you sure!

digger148, Nov 17, 11:44pm
Have a look at the bark of the rhodo, if it is a type with a shiny smooth bark be a bit more judicious in your pruning.
Rough bark you can prune hard, to the extreme of not leaving any foliage.
Just check as well that when it was moved, it wasnt planted to deeply. rhodo's only sit on top of the ground, too deep and they'll sulk and start to die back

lmwheeler, Nov 16, 9:07pm
Generally rhodos prefer not to be pruned at all - or to be pruned hard.I've hard pruned old straggly plants and they've grown back nicely.Maybe be a bit gentler if you think it's stressed from the move.

(With some of mine I just snap out old dead branches if they'll break off cleanly)