Please help? Carrots in a Glass house

luvtoyz, Nov 12, 7:43am
Would love to grow these in our glass house, but don't really have a clue where to start, we have a really high rainfall here on the coast, so growing them outside they end up waterlogged, or when we plant them the heavy rain falls it squashes the seedlings, has anyone had success in a Glass house.

strebor1, Nov 12, 7:47am
carrots need warmth, sun and deep well drained soil. They should be watered evenly, otherwise they can be susceptible to clumping and not going deep down in the soil.

wheelz, Nov 12, 8:24am
I would make a deep trough and fill with good potting mix, not compost, or all you'll get is nice green lush tops.

cantabman1, Nov 12, 10:30pm
Go for it; i would suggest that you mix the seed with some dry river sand so as to not waist your seed and save on thinning them out.

sylvia, Nov 12, 10:42pm
A friend grew carrots over winter in her tunnel house and they were very successful, she is in a very cold area of North Canterbury. I think she said she is going to grow everything in it now as rabbits get anything grown outside. Probably you would need very good ventilation if growing in a hipumidd climate.

crackerjack19, Oct 31, 10:06am
If you can plant carrots in a container or raise bed make sure the sides are 600mm above surrounding ground level to avoid the attentions of the carrot fly. They do not fly any higher than about 450mm off the ground,-simple protection eh !