Fejoas - no fruit.why?

milkybar4, Mar 13, 7:54pm
i bought 3 fejoa plants last year - two are self pollinating, all had fruit when i bought them, which we then eat.
they had flowers this year but no fruit.
why!

also they are in pots cause we are renting but they are big pots and are planted in compost and organic matter. i have fertilised them, kept them watered, they are not diseased at all, so very confused

stevee6, Mar 13, 9:36pm
Did they flower! And did bees and birds have access to them when they flowered as that is how they're pollinated.

milkybar4, Mar 13, 10:34pm
yes and yes but there arent alot of bees as we all know. my apple only produced one apple! i believe cause the bees never came. it is the last flower that made an apple.

milkybar4, Mar 13, 10:34pm
i think one fejoa might have 1 starting on it, but thats it. the rest are all gone.

wheelz, Mar 13, 10:50pm
Feijoas are pollinated by birds. Are they too close to the house! Or are there cats to scare them off!

pickles7, Mar 13, 11:55pm
Birds are so funny when they work the feijoas, We thought at first they were destroying the flowers, but left them to it as we had heaps of trees. The fruit we got was more than we could have envisioned. better luck next year.

milkybar4, Mar 14, 1:31am
i dont have birds down there no. i had no idea they needed birds. they are low to the ground and i have cats.

surfinjonny, Mar 14, 6:30am
How well have the been watered this year! If they have not had adequate water this year that would reduce the chance of them setting fruit. The lack of water around nz this year will influence the yield or lack of dramatically

arabelle, Mar 14, 8:57am
My fruiting levels have dropped off since the 3 x feral cats moved in, but they do keep the meeces etc at a lower level. yes its black birds etc that do the pollinating, so do try and keep cats out, maybe a netting fence around your bushesfor 3mths of the year, but at ground level, allowing the birds to access from the top

wheelz, Mar 14, 10:26am
Or move the pots to where the cats don't usually go, birds only need to see a cat in the vicinity to be scared off

gjsmith2, Apr 18, 12:15am
I didnt know birds could pollinate >-<