Newbie seedling question please

sugarskull, Mar 13, 9:36pm
Hi, i have high hopes of growing al my winter vegies from seeds with my kids. I am going to do it in egg cartons. I have the egg cartons and the seedling mix my questions are 1)are there seeds that you would recommend for a first timer that are easier than others, or that sprout quickly to keep the kids interest up! 2) do I need to cover the seeds with glass or plastic until they germinate and why is that, is it for retaining heat and moisture! Thanks heaps

mottly, Mar 13, 10:01pm
brassica's seem to be pretty fast to germinate and to mature.Bok choy's I find are a good one.radishes are another goodie for the kids. Spinach.yes, heat and moisture, on a nice sunny windowsill is a good place, don't let them dry out too much for too long.This time of year you shouldn't need a cover.!Depends where you are I guess!

jenny188, Mar 14, 10:56am
Kids interest as you state is sparked by speed of growth rates. So popular things to grow are traditionally. water cress, sprouts, radish and such. You are also right that glass or plastic covers help both moisture retention and heat for germination or sprouting. However they can also aid stewing or cooking of winter growing greenery. Popular seed packets have growing tips, times and conditions on the back of their packets, as a guide to your general area. If you grow what they like to eat,it helps retain their enthusiasm. Summer: sweetcorn, watermelon etc.

anne1955, Mar 14, 1:19pm
I found with egg cartons they dry very quickly as 'mottly' said and fine line sometimes between wet and rot and dry and nothing, but my general rate was over all good.I keep all clear plastic bottle to make little covers making them in different sizes so as they grow I can give them there own bigger glasshouse to will established.So another thing to save and keep. Unlike 'jenny188' I have never had any problems like that but I am in deep south so maybe it just happens in warmer areas of NZ :)
All the best is great eating out of own garden and having young ones involved will set them on a great path for the future.

kaylin, Mar 15, 2:29am
I saw a picture on my facebook page of someone planting a seed in a tea bag. Fold the wet (previously used) teabag in half, secure with toothpicks, and plant the seed in the middle. Keep damp. The leaves work like fertiliser, and the roots are undisturbed.

Much better than egg cartons, I find they dry out too much as they are too shallow.I have also used toilet rolls and planted seeds in them, but I find the cardboard goes mouldy.

quickwat, May 7, 2:50pm
Silverbeetand beetroot are always quick and easy to grow