Veggie Garden Beginners Thread

Page 16 / 16
leftydave, Dec 28, 6:49am
Tomatoes and picking out the 'laterals'

.sometimes we just pick out the bottom few laterals and then let them running about with a few arms,. we stake them up with cains and cross brace as well. we have had tomatoes still on the vine well into may. we don't mind if we end up with green toms as we make them into jam or chunty's.

love.a.bargain, Feb 6, 8:29pm
I wondered if you good people don't mind me joining in.

I have a couple of questions (and will have many more I imagine):

1.Has anyone grown Yams!
2.Do I need to pinch out cucumber plants and if so, which bits!

soc_butterfly, Feb 8, 11:50pm
I just got mine from garden centre

soc_butterfly, Feb 12, 1:24am
Sorry can't remember but it was in the same realm as potting mixes.I got two large bags and it did my rose garden and the central circular garden I've got nicely.

Might be an idea to call around and see what the local prices are.It certainly kept the weeds from coming through all winter for me.

missmuppett, Feb 13, 10:46pm
Hi guys, I have just put in a dozen cos lettuces in my container gardens,6 chilli plants (diff types), 4 large courgette/scallopini plants, and some capsicum plants. I may be a little late in starting, but am glad I have chucked them in :)

missmuppett, Feb 13, 10:47pm
BobbyBoy I am in Northland ish. and have just planted (above^)

missmuppett, Feb 14, 1:38am
I have done some in the ground and some in pots. :DPics. coming. :)

falconhell2002, Mar 8, 5:15pm
HI there, we have just decided to put in our very first vege garden, we live in Taranaki and I was just wondering if anyone could give us an idea of what plants we could plant at this time of the year.Just to give you an idea, we are on a farm and plan to steal a small part of the paddock behind our house.We are going to spray it out with round up and then use the power harrows (LOL) to plough it up.I know it sounds like we are going to do a big area, but hell no!This is just the easiest way we can think of going about it.I would like to plant a variety of veges and herbs and next summer add tomatoes etc.Thank you in advance and I am off to have a read of the rest of the thread now.