Newly planted citrus trees looking sad

Page 1 / 2
mpra034, Jan 31, 8:32am
On Monday we got 2 mandarin, 2 lemon and 2 lime trees and planted them as the guy at the garden centre advised. One of the mandarin trees looks really sad and were not sure why as we are watering it daily. It does have a lot of fruit on it for the little plant it is and I was wondering if we should pick it all off because it may be stressing the tree more! What do you guys think! Also is it normal for them to look a bit sad after planting or are we missing something!

TIA

owen106, Jan 31, 8:37am
I would pick the fruit, so energy goes into growing the tree first.

lythande1, Jan 31, 6:17pm
Daily! Bad idea, too much water is as bad as not enough.
Better to water them long and slow lees often rather than shallow frequent waterings.
You did give them some compost as well!

lemming2, Jan 31, 8:00pm
Definitely take all the fruit off. Some recommend not allowing citrus to fruit for the following season either; just their third season. Gives them time to mature.

cantabman1, Jan 31, 8:30pm
Yes, agree with other poster in taking ALL the fruit off to allow the tree to put its energy into growth. Once watered into place, its best to leave them for a while to allow the tree to put incourage the tree to root.A dose of ebbs and salts may also help it cheer up.

dibble35, Jan 31, 8:49pm
I agree however EPSOM SALTS may be better :-)

stevee6, Jan 31, 9:01pm
What soil did you plant it into, and did you mulch it and provide protection from the harsh afternoon sun! Water deeply every few days, but the mulch is important as it protects the roots from drying out and exposure to heat. And don't pile it up against the trunk. Agree with above - remove the fruit.

harrislucinda, Jan 31, 10:32pm
Ibroughtanewlemon treefor thefirstweekitlookedsad
thoughti wasgoinglooseit
beenfeedingandwatering astoldthistimeofthe yearmakesthelemonsjuicyHeapsofbabylemonsnotsurethisabouttakinglemonsofftohelp thetreeaswhotakesthemoffifgrowingwild

pauldw, Jan 31, 10:48pm
Growing wild it's survival of the fittest. If you only have a few why not give them the best chance!

stevee6, Feb 1, 1:28am
The thing is, it's not a wild one. In the wild, the majority of plants die young, so unless you want to replace it often, a little nurturing will result in a strong healthy tree first time round.

wheelz, Feb 1, 2:17am
You don't use Epsom salts unless it is showing magnesium deficiency. It is not a cure all !
I am wondering if the roots of the one that is not doing so well were damaged when planting, they resent root disturbance. No fertiliser should be needed unless it is slow release tabs, until it is established. Mulch and deep water once a week. If in an exposed site, a shelter is a good idea.

arielbooks, Feb 1, 2:42am
What are the signs of magnesium deficiency!

emmbee, Feb 1, 4:55am
Im no expert, but I would think this is just not the time to plant fruit trees! isnt late autumn, or winter much better!

wheelz, Feb 1, 5:42am
Citrus can be planted any time of the year. Just need to be more vigilant with watering and mulching.

annies3, Feb 1, 6:27am
That is correct for moving trees or for bare rooted trees but container grown can be planted any time if looked after with a good watering when planted to settle the soil around the roots.

mpra034, Feb 1, 6:30am
Thanks guys that's been really helpful. Will remove all of the fruit and stop watering it daily. It is quite exposed and gets the afternoon sun but there's not much we can do about that. Lets hope we can save it!

marie2244, Feb 1, 6:40am
Yellowing of leaves is a sign.

stevee6, Feb 1, 7:04am
Actually you can do something about the afternoon sun. Four bamboo poles, some twine and some shadecloth or weedmat. Make a shelter so the tree is shaded from the midday and western sun.

kiwicarm, Feb 1, 6:55pm
Did you plant this in the ground or in a container! If in a container did you use container mix! If you are watering daily what time of day!

mpra034, Feb 1, 10:06pm
They were planted in the ground with compost. They are being watered late in he day around 8pm.

maclad, Feb 2, 12:07am
Magnesium deficiency shows as leaves yellowing but the area round the veins stays green. Nitrogen deficiency shows up as yellowing around the veins with the inbetween area retaining some green colour.

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 2, 12:15am
Maybe give them a bit of time to recover. It's a stressful time for all plants, let alone those just planted. If you are putting in any more trees, perhaps wait till autumn when the weather is gentler!

nchun, Feb 2, 12:29pm
I think you've answered the problems with your comment above. The plants have come from a growing nursery with optimum conditions to grow, then into a warm sheltered Garden Centre environment, then into your garden that is 'quite exposed' and 'gets afternoon sun'. For citrus to grow well, their 4 main pre-requisites are . Warmth, shelter, all day sun, organically enriched free draining but moisture rententive soils. So the 2 conditions that will be affecting your new citrus plants are the exposed location and half day shade in the morning. Cheers!

blurple1, Feb 2, 6:30pm
we water ours once a week, it has pellets in the soil and i give it thrive every second week, try that ps we are in dunedin and get good lemons

graham14, Feb 3, 4:35am
Wally Richards has written about citrus problems this week. Its quite a lond article and too big for here. You can find it here.http://www.facebook.com/p-
ages/Garden-Gloves-Geraldine/2-
59949077417042 I hope that helps.