Is it too hot for potted citrus trees?

haverstock1, Jan 28, 3:46am
Have two lemons one mandarin and a lime in separate large pots on the patio. One of the lemons has dropped a lot of its leaves and I wonder if the pots and soil are getting too hot this summer. They are fed and watered well.
Would I be better to move them to a cooler spot until autumn?

lythande1, Jan 28, 4:24am
No.
Citrus love heat.
Watering properly?

brightlights60, Jan 28, 6:14am
Two words. Water retention. Make sure you have something added, either the water holding crystals or some sort of spagnum (I used coconut fibre in all my pots) to help retain the moisture. We have two enormous pots on the front deck (north facing, under shelter where it is terribly hot) and the soil never dries out totally.

wheelz, Jan 28, 6:21am
I wonder if the water is just running thru the soil, and not actually wetting anything?! They do sound stressed.
How big are the pots ?how long in the pots? Are the pots themselves sucking up the water? How old is the potting mix?
Are you using fertiliser suitable for potted containers?. needs to be slow release or liquid, citrus are surface rooted and some fertilisers will burn the roots.
There are products out there like Saturaid that helps the water wet the soil. I find those water crystals next to useless, they seem to keep the moisture all to themselves and not share.
A mulch of sheep pellets and wool mixed, would help conserve moisture and keep the roots cool. Can't remember the correct name, a good garden centre will know.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 28, 6:47am
Colour of pots is also an issue. A dark pot in the sun will cook the roots inside it.

milkybar4, Jan 28, 7:29pm
mine are fine but they are not in all day sun. if they are then they suffer. they also might be lacking in something

bastardsquad, Aug 16, 9:49am
I have lemon and lime in plastic 50L pots north facing west coast Auckland and they bake in the sun almost all day. Last year my lime did exactly as yours(lemon was juvenile then), and fair enough it was underwatered and underfed - neglected basically. This year, with careful feeding/watering it is going mental. Plastic pots rather than clay pots, choose terracotta over dark green or black(too hot).