Cistern keeps filling with water.

2bakerz, Jan 23, 10:16pm
when flushed til overflows, i.e. doesn't switch off.System is a Toto Valdes 4.5 Shrouded S-Link.

farwest, Jan 23, 10:27pm
Probably needs a new washer in the fill valve. Either get a plumber, or take the washer out and visit your local plumbing wholesalers with it, to find a replacement.

2bakerz, Jan 23, 10:41pm
Thanks for response - now need to know just how to take the fill valve out of the cistern.

anne1955, Jan 23, 11:28pm
Just give the pipe with the ball on it a bend gently upwards normally fix's it.And if really worried about water useage/consumption put a brick in the cisten. We all use to do it in Au as we paid for it there.Hope this helps Anne

malone4, Jan 23, 11:30pm
your first step is to turn off your water main.

farwest, Jan 23, 11:31pm
Modern toilets don't have that sort of fill valve.

russ18, Jan 24, 12:06am
If you cant work out how to do it when it's right in front of you then you probably should get a plumber.

2bakerz, Jan 24, 12:41am
Thanks all for input, yes, I did at least know to turn the water off! And you're right farwest, we don't have that sort of fill valve. Have decided to get a plumber in.at least I can still use it, by just turning the water on and off as needed in the meantime.

trade4us2, Jan 24, 2:48am
The washer should cost less than a dollar. A plumber would cost at least $100.
Best to learn how to DIY!

harrislucinda, Jan 24, 3:00am
Justbendthepipeon theballupslightly
so whenwaterreachesthatlevelitshouldturnoff
flushletrefillifstillnottry againthatis allwedo

maclad, Jan 24, 3:28am
This won't work if the washer is old and worn or dirty. The others are correct you need to replace the washer and it is a pity you cannot DIY it as it is so easy to do. Far cheaper than a plumber.

farwest, Jan 24, 3:42am
Their fill valve looks like this, although it probably isn't that brand:
http://www.fluidmaster.com/our-products/fill-valves-repair-kits.html
Different brands of these have different washers, and they are completely different to the old Dux ball cock washer.

2bakerz, Jan 24, 4:23am
Yes farwest it is similar to that but not exactly the same, so looks like this lady needs a plumber!Can do most DIY's 'cept electrical and plumbing.the two most expensive trades, I think!

trade4us2, Feb 6, 9:54am
Well if these new designs require a plumber to fix them, why would anyone ever buy them!
A friend of mine (before I met her) had a plumber round to replace the $1 washer. He said that her cistern was too old and a washer was not available. So he said he'd put in a new cistern. Then he said the toilet bowl was too old and didn't match modern cisterns. So he charged $600 for a new cistern and toilet bowl. What a total ripoff.