Unhappy with carpet join what to do ?

nz_yid, Jan 16, 7:07am
I had the whole house carpeted in nov 2012 at the time i commented about a join in the lounge being very noticable ( in the middle if the lounge as well ) i was told that it would flattern down in 2 - 3 days , it did not. I recalled the carpet layer & the shop manager where i bought the carpet they agreed you can see the join from anywhere & would come back to put it right and a few other issues as well.
He came back on 20 dec fixed other issues but said nothingcan be done regards the join as not overlapping . But i still am not happy. the carpet cost 200 per m + underlay

what can i do !
btw only paid 60% & the carpet company hasn't yet phoned aboutthe remainder
carpet company was guthrie bowron carpet layer was his sub contractor

TIA

imagine4, Jan 16, 7:09am
just keep complaining and dont pay the rest until its fixed
.did they use a wide tape to join the carpet

lynneandella, Jan 16, 7:11am
Don't just ignore the balance as the last thing you need is it being sent for collection and it affecting your credit rating.

Contact their competitor and get a second opinion on what they think can be done.

nz_yid, Jan 16, 7:20am
tape was about 80mm wide & he said was optical so i closed blinds and you could still see it , carpet layer agreed as well

mac934, Jan 16, 7:26am
We had carpet layed last year and have a join in our lounge also unfortunately you will always see where it is joined but I agree with lynneandella you need a seconded opinion just to ease your mind.

kuaka, Jan 16, 7:40am
We had carpet laid in October and in another part of the house in November, and you really can't see the join.The carpet layer did a really good job.I'd say what you got was poor workmanship.I'd be complaining big time.

russ18, Jan 16, 7:49am
on a job in December, the carpet layers were not happy with the way the join was raised, was a new type of carpet (new backing or something). They didn't seem to know what to do.

imagine4, Jan 16, 8:32am
i had carpet layed over a year ago.you could see the join.got new carpetin nov as the first one had a major fault in it and the company replaced it.cannot see the join.it may be the carpet

kaddiew, Jan 16, 7:18pm
How wide was the carpet roll! Surely they could've planned any join in a lounge to at least be to the side, and not through the middle. That seems unacceptable to me.

purplegoanna, Jan 16, 11:24pm
"optical" yip tui anyone.

bugin, Jan 17, 12:03am
You must advise them in writing (email with reply confirmation )stating the reason you are with-holding payment and dates of previous requests for repair to the join.You should use the term "account is in dispute" which should effectively stop any collection agency getting involved as you are clearly seeking a resolution and not just refusing to pay.
Keep your records completely and accurately .Always ask that they confirm their decisions by email so you have that record if you have to go to DT. Avoid emotional or threatening statements.
Do not accept cop-out excuses ,the ultimate question is "if this was your house would you accept it"!

rainrain1, Jan 17, 12:58am
If all else fails go to the top.NZ general manager of the store

kaddiew, Jan 17, 2:13am
Agree. Also, photograph the offending join from several angles, and attach to complaint emails.Quote the CGA in each sentence (worked for me on 2 houselots of shoddy carpet), as I'm sure you wouldn't have knowingly agreed to a highly visible carpet join through the centre of your lounge. Unless the lounge is so huge that it needs 2 full roll widths, I would be requesting it be recarpeted with any join to the least conspicuous side of the room.

mkbooks, Jan 17, 7:09am
Contact Consumer + FairGo-they are trying to rip you off with shoddy workmanship

imagine4, Jan 17, 7:49am
the join in the carpet is in the middle of my lounge and dont show.its the workmanship that is no good if you can see the join

loislane1, Jan 17, 7:53am
We had this same problem and carpet layers came back and opened up the join and rejoined it.They blamed the tape they had originally used - didn't worry me what the reason was as the end result was great. Don't let them tell you thats just how it is - hold on to your 40% balance.Just keep on at them.May pay to ask for a rep from the carpet manufacturers to come out and have a look as well.

cowlover, Jan 21, 12:50pm
We have a "pet" carpet layer who has been at it for 25 years or so.You can never never ever see his joins.
Just go back and ask when are they coming to fix it.It may well be that they will have to replace the carpet as if its cut wrong it will be too small to rejoin.Depending on batch numbers etc they might have to redo the entire house.I'd bet that's why they haven't been back nor chased up the balance of the payment.They are just hoping you will just go away and forget about it.

AFAIK there are only a couple of joining systems so its almost always bad workmanship that causes joins to show up badly.Old saying bad workman always blames his tools.

diana96, Jan 22, 4:21am
some carpets dont join well. we had one that was textured and the joins were terible.

t_naki, Jan 23, 5:04am
Really so it is only a problem if you want to look at your carpet, lol

I agree with earlier posts, do not pay the balance and keep complaining.

Confucius say "bargaining always done better with money in YOUR pocket"

t_naki, Feb 4, 9:47pm
A good layer would cut the carpet around having a visible join down the middle of a room.

IMO there are 2 things that will make a badly visible join, either its a bad batch of carpet in which case the supplier should relay the carpet at no cost to OP or or it was bad laying in which case the supplier should relay the carpet at no cost to OP.