Rough Cost To build Deck

shagged, Jan 22, 3:26am
need to replace the whole deck out the back of my yard.

just wondering if anyone knows a rough guestimate of how much it would cost for materials only (no labour). Materials including posts, framing and the decking timber itself.

Deck size is 6.7 x 4.4 meters.

wanting a rough idea of how much $$$$$ i need to put aside before I can get it done.

bryshaw, Jan 22, 5:09am
I would say about $1,000. Decking is actually the same price as it was 20 years ago.

net_oz, Jan 22, 6:54am
Start at $2500+ depending on the timber you use.

keysinabox, Jan 22, 8:13am
I jst finished buidling my deck over the xmas period. Cost me $1267. 4.5mx4m also includes large steps I built across the 4m span. Looks great!

emmaj26, Jan 22, 8:25am
Was it your first time building a deck, or had you done it before! We have an 8x2m approx deck that we need to build, and my father is the brains behind the operation (could do it in his sleep!) but is currently busy with his own stuff. I'm now freaking out that we're going to completely stuff it up.

OP, I found a site that said:
For decks up to 300mm, approx $100 sqm
Up to 1000mm, approx $120 sqm
Up to 3000mm, approx $200 sqm

Depends on materials I guess though. I'm stumped on which timber to use to start with!

keysinabox, Jan 22, 8:53am
Iv built a few decks in the past. First time building my own! I used 100x100 posts, 4x2 joist and bearers. used 90x25 premium decking all from bunnings. also consider getting builders mix and concrete for you post. Do not buy easy mix concrete.

Get all your corner posts in and work off those making sure all is level. That is critical (to make level) as you do not want the decking to be bulging. Once you get past all the digging, concreting and leveling ! it will get easier!

reggienz, Jan 22, 8:56am
I built my 45 sq m deck with trellis sides, (dog proof) plus 2 lots of steps, Cost was approx $4500.

keysinabox, Jan 22, 9:05am
That is rediculously cheap! at trade price! (taking a guess)

elliehen, Jan 22, 9:26am
Don't forget to use those fish-hook nails (not exactly sure what they're called).Ordinary nails pop straight up during the hot summer days and you're forever going round with a hammer banging them down.

princessserena, Jan 22, 5:46pm
This is pretty importantsaves heaps of work in the future or screw them down

hutchk, Jan 22, 8:59pm
Ring shank nails.

sarahharper, Jan 22, 9:03pm
We built our deck last year for around $2000, it is 20 sq meters.Yours is 30 square meters, so I would say maybe $2500!

trade4us2, Jan 22, 9:07pm
For my last deck I used rough-sawn H4 timber for joists. They are much cheaper than No.1 H3 gauged. I did have to saw one of them straight!

fimeister, Jan 23, 6:51am
Jeeze don't bother in chch on the hill - we were quoted $50K

gtcrshr, Jan 23, 7:17am
why not !

easygoer, Jan 23, 7:49am
Approx 5 sq meter extension to my deck over xmas was around $1000.00, included steps, hand rails and 5 litres of stain, all timber is No 1 grade 100 x 100 posts and bearers, 150 x 50 joists, 90 x 40 grip tread, galv ring shank decking nails are a must to fix the decking timber