Bad drain smells

Page 1 / 2
dittzzy, Jan 13, 9:17pm
HELP! How do I get rid of the awful smell coming from the plugs in my sinks/shower!! I live in an apartment so I can't pull anything up and I have tried lemons and draino and even got a plumber to put a rubber thingy in the shower but to no avail. Does anyone have anything else I can try!!

buddynz1, Jan 13, 9:19pm
Caustic soda should work

dittzzy, Jan 13, 9:34pm
Ok cool. Not to be a blonde, but where would I get that!

harrislucinda, Jan 13, 10:18pm
Oh no, it sounds like you've got a stinky situation on your hands! Don't worry, there are a few things you can try to banish those unpleasant odors coming from your sinks and shower.

First, try pouring some baking soda down the drain followed by white vinegar. This combination will create a fizzy reaction that can help break down any gunk and grime that might be causing the smell.

If that doesn't work, try pouring some boiling water down the drain to help flush out any leftover debris. You can also try using a drain snake or a plunger to help dislodge any stubborn clogs.

Another option is to try using an enzyme-based drain cleaner. These cleaners are designed to break down organic material and can be a more environmentally friendly option than harsh chemicals like Draino.

And if all else fails, you can always try masking the smell with some essential oils or a scented candle. Just be sure to use caution and keep any flames away from potential sources of gas or other flammable materials.

Hopefully one of these methods will do the trick and banish those pesky odors for good. And if not, just remember - you can always hold your breath until you move out of the apartment. Kidding! (kind of).

carter19, Jan 13, 11:35pm
If you are not using one of your bathrooms, the trap dries out and the smell from the sewer has no barrier to stop it. If you have floor wastes, pour water down them regularly. Otherwise a bit of bleach will do the trick.

trade4us2, Jan 14, 12:06am
I suggest buying a sink plunger. I got one for $2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plunger

Put water down the sink or shower plughole and use the plunger. There should be the noise of air going through water.
If there isn't, maybe there isn't a trap! But that would be very unusual (and illegal, so the landlord should fix it).

amasser, Jan 14, 12:28am
carter19 is right but we assume that plug-holes are regularly used. If there is a blockage, baking soda and vinegar will clear most things, aided by a punger.

dittzzy, Jan 14, 12:32am
Ok I have tried the bleach thing and as it stands the house now smells like a hospital, which believe you me is a hundred times better than it did before! Heres hoping that will do the trick!

lythande1, Jan 14, 12:33am
Dries out! It can't dry out. A trap holds water.
Or it may have those other ones - the bag type at top of pipe - in which case it's either clogged and not working properly or it's rubber has perished. Either way get the property manager to sort it.

carter19, Jan 14, 11:57pm
I am right. It is a common problem

malone4, Jan 15, 12:08am
yip great for blocked drains but the trick is not to make it too concentrated as it can eat away at your drains. And use gloves when using this acid too.

imagine4, Jan 15, 2:47am
have you cleaned the traps.they need regular cleaning
expecially just under the plug hole.

taipan4, Jan 15, 5:29am
PROBABLY SAFER TO USE BAKING SODA add water & jam the plug in & let it fizz

canz, Jan 15, 7:50am
nBaking sod will do the job and not hurt anything mix some up with hot water and tip it down, then spoon a couple of tablespoons over the plug hole and let it sit for a couple of hours or until your next shower

40wav, Jan 15, 8:02am
And that water evaporates over time if the drain is not used for a while, maybe a second bathroom or such. This evaporation can also be described as 'dries out'.

caspar26, Jan 15, 5:59pm
looks like you need to get a plumber in as most of the advice given here is a waste of time. it could be a bigger problem usually with venting or partially blocked drains

dittzzy, Jan 15, 8:18pm
I've had the plumber in a number of times but to no avail. The worst smells are from the shower (which is used daily by both myself and my partner), the bathroom sink and the kitchen sink which has one of those insinkerator thingies which i never use. The plumber put a rubber funnel looking thing in the shower but that didnt help at all. I tried bleach and that lasts only a day or two. I just poured vinegar and baking soda down my kitchen sink so heres hoping.
Apparently my whole apartment block has this problem which annoys me no end - I really wish I was told this BEFORE i moved in.

caspar26, Jan 16, 6:40pm
sounds like a venting problem then. google that and you will know what i mean

dittzzy, Jan 17, 5:55am
For those interested . i threw two lemons down the insinkerator thing and not only does my house smell amazing but this is the longest my drain hasnt smelt either

spiritofgonzo, Jan 17, 6:31am
agree, lemon juice works wonders on smelly drains.

loislane1, Jan 17, 7:56am
What did the plumber suggest is the problem!If you've had a plumber in a few times surely they have given you an idea of what they think the problem is (especially as they haven't been able to resolve it).

trade4us2, Jan 17, 8:51am
You need to know if there is an S bend under each drain and whether it's full of water. There is supposed to be a vent pipe going up to the roof after each drain. If there is no vent pipe then water going down the drain may suck water out of the S bend and cause smells to come up the drain.
As I said earlier, put a rubber sink plunger over each outlet and push down and up. You should be able to hear water in the S bend.
It is possible that the plumbing has never been done right.

dittzzy, Jan 17, 9:13am
All i got was the rubber funnel thingy and a 'this whole building has a problem' .sigh

dittzzy, Jan 17, 9:13am
i think thats the case because i keep getting told that the whole building has a problem.which begs the question, why has nothing been done!!

mizzmiff, Jan 17, 10:43pm
I would just leave the plugs in the sink holes and no smell can come out them! (although perhaps difficult to do in the shower!)