Mould in/on silicone sealer in shower

sue62, Dec 31, 9:09pm
How do you remove mould that has appeared in/on the silicone used to seal the bottom of a shower!

Thanks

tech_import, Dec 31, 9:13pm
bleach, white vinegar, or replace the silicon

caspar26, Jan 1, 11:01pm
would recommend you to cut it out and clean thoroughly then put new bathroom silicone. There is a trick to how you apply and work off the excess silicone. hint spray bottle with soapy water

rojill, Jan 2, 12:13am
sue62 wrote:
How do you remove mould that has appeared in/on the silicone used to seal the bottom of a shower!

Thanks[/quote Make sure you have applied the correct silicone sealer- - suggest you ask your local plumber for a tube as they use a fungus free type,which is not always available from M10 and Bunnings.

murfee, Jan 2, 9:21pm
i was told by a plumber to never smooth the silicone with finger as bacteria is added to silicone and that's why it goes mouldy - use a spatula. Not sure if true but I replaced mine and it hasn't gone mouldy.

helen_nz2, Jan 2, 11:03pm
I was also told to wrap gladwrap around your finger to smooth

nitronz, Jan 2, 11:39pm
gladwrap is porous
back of a teaspoon is better

sb6, Jan 2, 11:52pm
Exit Mould gets rid of it. May have to apply more than once.

tigra, Jan 3, 12:10am
Glad Wrap is porous!

captaingraham, Jan 3, 12:54am
I tried to wrap the back of a teaspoon around my finger but it did not fit!

mgrant, Jan 3, 2:19am
ice block sticks work a treat

piquant, Jan 3, 3:14am
Just use disposable surgical gloves.

nauru, Jan 3, 9:00am
I used Selleys rapid mould killer for the same problem and it worked well,I found it to be better than exit mould.Just make sure that you have the room well ventilated when doing it.

dibble35, Jan 3, 8:06pm
Good must try this as i've found exit mould wont work for me on mouldy silicone in bathrooms, great for mouldy ceilings but not the silicone. Me and my father have got a few rentals/houses between us and I must say no matter what silicone we use around baths, sinks etc (even the anti-fungal ones) they ALL go mouldy eventually

nellbee, Jan 3, 9:50pm
Nothing worked for removing the mould in our shower's silicon seals. I think it just gets established throughout the silicon. We've just removed the silicon (with a great little gadget from Mitre 10) and reapplied it (with another great little gadget from Mitre 10).

caspar26, Jan 5, 8:44am
No matter what you use, If you dont clean regularly you will get mould even with the mould free silicones. Trust me im a plumber

nauru, Jan 5, 9:52am
My bathroom is cleaned every day and we still got mouldy silicone around the shower area.The Selleys product was the only thing I have found to work.

lythande1, Jan 5, 6:41pm
Because Exit Mould and other b leaches don't kill the mould off, it just disguises it and makes it look as if it's gone.
They had this on TV earlier - it doesn't get the roots of it.
I'd go with replacing the silicon and then doing thorough cleans and ventilating to prevent it. Prevention is better than cure.

wron, Jan 6, 12:09am
Hi Nellbee, what are the names of the wee tools you bought please!

nellbee, Jan 6, 4:04am
Sorry - the packaging was thrown away, but if you ask for a silicon-removing tool and the related applier, they'll see you right at the hardware shop. They were cheap and really effective.

trade4us2, Jan 18, 10:18pm
Get some Janola Bathroom Bleach spray and spray it every week. I've killed the black mould that's been in my silicone for 20 years.