Removing silicone sealant

kp11, Jan 29, 1:14am
x1
Aragorn2003 - You are a GOD!Thank You!

angel404, Oct 21, 6:44am
from around the edge of the bath. Do i have to spray something on it to loosen it or is there a trick to ripping it off!

aragorn2003, Oct 21, 6:49am
just use a craft knife and cut it out , when you have the bulk of it off you can use turps or something like that to loosen off the last of it and rub it off

nik12, Oct 21, 7:05am
There a remover you can buy, but it's really dear! I used a knife to get an edge then pulled and carefully scraped under it.

kp11, Oct 21, 8:21am
Hmmm. this is my next project as well.Dreading it.I found installing the new silicone the tricky bit last time!

angel404, Oct 21, 8:25am
Yes me too and I did a shite job of it too and now it needs to be done nicely before we put the house on the market! lol

les6, Oct 21, 9:47am
lay masking tape along the edges before you lay it then smooth it down wait for it to skin over and peel the tape off,this will give a nice neat finish to it with no excess smeared up the sides.

ayjay1, Oct 21, 7:11pm
aragorn2003's method really works well. I do a lot of this sort of work and have found this to be the cheapest and most affective method.
Cheers

aragorn2003, Oct 21, 11:18pm
Using masking tape is a good idea to get nice clean lines , also use soapy water when skimming it off once pumped. But never leave the tape on , leaving it on until it skins will make a mess of your work and sometimes pulls the silicone leaving shite edges , take the tape off as soon as your happy you've done a good job.

You can use your finger or an ice cream stick to make easy work of it

supernova2, Oct 22, 12:06am
Don't ever use your finger - thats how you get mould.Proper tool which isn't expensive or the ice cream stick.

rojill, Oct 22, 3:27am
That sounds like an old wives tale !

mm12345, Oct 22, 3:50am
It might sound like it - but it's true - although some of the "bathroom" grade sealant may have biocidal ingredients in them to reduce mould.
When I use silicone, I'll mask it off with cheap plastic insulation tape rather than masking tape.I'll also remove the masking tape before it skins - immediately after I've applied it - takes a bit of practice, but that seems to give the neatest edge.

squeaking, Oct 22, 6:03am
you can use your finger but make sure its clean by useing a powerfull cleaning agent like Janola or bleach, most bathroom silicon sealants have a anti bacterial agent in them but still steralize your hands and yes remove tape straight away,

stevo2, Oct 22, 6:05am
use the back of a teaspoon. never your finger

ayjay1, Oct 22, 8:02am
Yeah or a bit of plastic over your finger.

ayjay1, Oct 22, 8:04am
Why the insulation tape mm! You are right about not letting it skim :-)

nik12, Oct 25, 9:41am
Nope, totally true! Even an old plastic bag over finger isn't great.
I bought the 'tool' from mitre 10. think it cost $7. worked really well after a couple of disasters using chopped up icecream container.

t_naki, Oct 25, 5:50pm
I used a sharp scraper for the bulk and then meths to remove the rest, did a good job. I would use a small bit of the meths or tuprs on a bit that will be unseen when finished just to make sure that it will not damage the surface.

les6, Oct 19, 6:16pm
depends where your fingers have been lately!