What to Plant?

kiwisportsgirl, Oct 15, 8:32am
Have recently moved into a new place that doesn't have that much garden just a little at the front along the house. It was barked when we moved in with a few weeds popping up. It also had flax planted along it.
They look pretty hideous and I don't like them at all. It has all been fixed up and looks more tidy. Apart from the remaining flax. One went west. lol
I want to know what I can plant there that is hardy but doesn't take to long to grow and is evergreen. It gets the sun mainly in the afternoon.
TIA

dannydonut, Oct 15, 9:07am
Do you want small (under 1m), shrubby plants? Hebes would work there. If you want taller, maybe camellias which are easy to prune to the size you want.

kiwisportsgirl, Oct 15, 9:33am
I have been thinking along the lines of Hebes.
thanks

kiwisportsgirl, Oct 15, 9:35am
Oh god I have dealt with gorse before a very prickling experience.

lythande1, Oct 15, 6:14pm
Bad idea. Doesn't take long to grow generally means weed plants. which will soon go mad and take over.
Better to be patient and let it grow more slowly and have a nice plant you enjoy without a nightmare later on.

maccachic1, Oct 15, 10:28pm
Fairy Bamboo it is clumping.

ruby2shoes, Oct 15, 10:31pm
another vote for hebes, come in all colours and sizes and rather hardy. I'm a fan of euphorbias too, specially the old fashioned lime green one. And echiums and pittosporums. Lol.

kinna54, Oct 16, 1:18am
KSG what about carpet roses. they are nice and hardy. hebes are nice, as are lavenders (which I am allergic to) but can grow a bit woody. mind you I am no expert. ha ha I am still red faced from growing old man's beard in a pot (I had been attempting to strike rose cuttings and this thing came up I even fertilised lol. oh dear)

macandrosie, Aug 30, 8:05pm
Good old Choiysa Ternata (Mexican orange blossom) is an evergreen shrub which is quick growing & can easily be kept clipped or left to get bigger. Has nice glossy leaves. Cheap to buy from the Warehouse.