Plum tree advice please

ambo11, Jun 14, 3:43am
Have a large old plum which has been giving very little fruit over the last few years, despite a pruning and feeding. Has lots of shoots growing off the trunk, so have cut it off above these shoots. (Trunk is now 1.5m high). But will these shoots produce fruit, or should I just rip the whole thing out? Thanks

annies3, Jun 14, 3:52am
The new shoots are the result of your pruning, the new shoots will flower and produce fruit probably in the next year or two, but depending on what shape or form the new shoots take you may need to thin them, there are experts on here who can tell you more than I can though.

les6, Jun 14, 9:59pm
i would not rip it out.you can graft a different variety onto each new shoot,it coul d be just a pollination issue with the old tree.?I had a self sowen plum in the orchard that was good fro the birds to have and the pollinationation aspect but was getting too big so I cut it off and have grafted a black dorris onto it.One season of growth its 8ft high and will have plums this year.

tangerina, Jun 15, 9:10am
All I can remember about plum is you don't hack into it as it stimulates a mass of new shoots. Pruning is kept to a minimum and is generally just the maintenance type, removing dead, diseased or damaged wood.

laspaz, Jun 15, 9:12am
I'd rip it out, I am getting bucket loads of fruit of my 2 year old new plum trees. I guess it depends on how much room you have, but I don't have enough space for a tree that is not producing.

busybee72, Jun 15, 10:07am
Plums will only fruit on last years wood. This is why a two year old tree will produce fruit, having younger growth. You have done the right thing by cutting it back. Select four or five leaders that you want to keep as the structure of the tree and trim the side growth off these back to 3 buds. This will be your fruiting wood next year. New shoots will appear along your leader and at the base of your fruiting wood in the new season - these will be the year after fruiting wood. After fruiting, trim back fruited wood as it will never fruit again. The trick is to keep the tree young and not a mess of new growth. Good luck

fantail8, Jun 15, 10:13am
just a thought . polinators does it have another plum nearby or has one died or been pulled out recently as that could affect it's fruiting as well

ambo11, Dec 15, 5:47pm
Cheers people, have just planted a "greengage" I think its called, beautiful green plums. Was wondering about another new tree, but will give this one a chance I think, as it would be a mission to pull enough of it out of the ground to replant another in the same spot. No others cut down nearby recently, its planted beside a pear (maybe Conference, old green variety)and a Peasgood nonsuch, and Coxs orange apple trees. New Morettini Pear, Blackboy peach, Golden Queen peach and Greengage plum trees on other side of section along with a GS apple and a Meyer and Yen Ben lemon trees. Will chuck a Nectarine in soon when they arrive. Cheers for all input, appreciate the advice.