Painting wall paper?

Page 1 / 2
jubre, May 18, 4:42am
We are at the other side of this now. New kitchen put in and trying to remove wallpaper that has been painted over. A lot harder to remove with paint on it.

mlarkin, May 18, 7:38am
Each year we tackle another room! Major job stripping painted over wallpaper and curse previous owners who slopply painted the house before selling. They also used cream in most rooms and we both hate cream! We have stripped the first layers ourselves, but had to get professionals in to finish the job and plaster before painting. Expensive, but really pleased with results, including removing ugly down lights in family room and plastering over. Capricorngirl

kindajojo, May 18, 7:47am
Painted wall paper looks like painted wallpaper . if you want to do a good job strip it off prepare the walls properly and it will look great.

roys351, May 18, 8:05am
you cant polish a poo but you can roll it in glitter !

beachboy61, May 18, 8:48am
Painted wallpaper is fine. I've done many houses this way. Its not necessarily suited to "million dollar" houses, but for most family homes its just fine. My father was a house painter and I've learnt from him.
As others have said preparation is important and in most cases you need to apply two coats of paint to get a good finish.
Don't be put off by some of the negative feedback I've read here.

lyng1, May 19, 7:22am
Vinyl wallpaper which is easy to strip is no harder when it has paint on it. I'm sure you'll be happy with the result.

kernal1, Jul 3, 12:45am
Good or bad idea? Kitchen/dining area. Paper cannot be matched but same 99% through house so want this area to still look similar (open plan).
Good order still, just cooking etc ( no range hood and cannot fit) has discoloured.

tutifruiti, Jul 3, 12:58am
Our new kitchen/dining area is painted and so was our other kitchen/dining. Had no problems. As long as you have windows and doors that open you should be okay. Our painting was done by professionals.

kitaki, Jul 3, 1:23am
I have painted over all of the wallpaper in the house bar two rooms.And changed the colour several times. I guess you would have to make more inquiries if it is a vinyl (good qality) paper as to what prep work, if any, you would nee to do on this.

rak1, Jul 3, 3:17am
Painting wall paper is fine BUT make sure it is not vinyl coated. Check by painting a small area with an acrylic paint, if thats what you are using and if it has a tacky surface when it should be dry then it is usually vinyl coated. Secondly, not all wallpaer sealers are created equal. Some use them and some dont. Also watch out for plastisisers leaching through the paper. I did a room last year before xmas, painted fine and looked good after 2 top coats and no wallpaper sealer. When we got home from hols, it looked like a thousand pre schoolers had just had fish n chips and put there greasy little hands over the walls. Tried a number of things to get rid of it and in the end got a consultant who did stuff for Resene to look at it. He diagnosed what he called plasticers and said no amount of coats of paint and no wall papersealer would ever fix it. He told me to paint the walls with BIN 123. Did, it worked; so my advice would be to do one room at a time.

johotech, Jul 3, 6:53am
It should be reasonably straightforward no matter what type of wallpaper it is.

1. Wash with sugar soap
2. Stick down any loose areas with sure stick or no more gaps
3. Light sand & brush off dust
4. Apply 1 coat of pigmented sealer
5. If necessary (to cover well) apply 1 coat of acrylic undercoat
6. Light sand & brush off dust
7. 2 top coats - light sand inbetween if necessary

johotech, Jul 3, 6:53am
Last resort due to poor preparation.

rak1, Jul 3, 9:24am
Think what you like, I have the guys card. I know they dont sell BIN, so did he, am only telling you what happened.

mojo49, Jul 3, 9:33am
Done two houses. Washed walls first. Filled and sanded any damaged areas. Used Placemakers brand undercoat and two coats tinted colour. Results excellent. Would still prefer to do bare walls, but older houses with rough walls under the paper make it formidably time consuming and expensive to go back to bare wall and then prep from there.

hutchk, Jul 3, 11:29pm
I also run a quick skim of Plus4 up all of the joins before undercoating - older papers have often have a small gap between drops and it becomes very obvious once you've painted the wall.

sanremo, Jul 4, 12:45am
As someone who once had to strip a room full of painted wallpaper, I recommend: NO.

kernal1, Jul 4, 1:58am
It is washable paper but not vinyl. Under 10 years up and was put over the earlier paper! Paper has a very slight 'raised' self pattern and wondering if this would still show a little. Would hope so.
Would the painted surface be washable same as stripping and painting and admit thoughts heading this way because of cost as on a limited budget. Thanks for comments earlier.

johotech, Jul 4, 4:42am
The pattern will show once painted.
It will still be washable, up to the spec of the paint you use.

Would not recommend stripping before painting, because it will then require a full skim coat (as well as possibly taping and base coat on the gib joints) - which will be a significant additional cost.

I also would not recommend putting Plus 4 over the joints in the paper. Because firstly, it increases the chance of the paper bubbling due to the water in the compound. And secondly, because you will end up with very noticeable smooth stripes up the wall where you skim it.

If the wallpaper is in reasonable condition, if you sand the wallpaper joints in step 3 above, they will not be very noticeable.

mojo49, Jul 4, 8:00am
Like hutchk I ran Plus4 over the joins and then sanded. Not being able to see the wallpaper joins after painting makes a huge difference to the finished look.

kernal1, Jul 4, 8:30am
Blond question? What is plus 4? Some sort of sealer, available any where by that name? Joins really are fine at the moment, paper has lifted just a fraction in a couple of places, just mm's, and barely noticeable. Discolouration is 99% of query forgetting limited budget, not able to do myself but still hope 'cleanable' considering area. Also with rest of house papered not sure of this area will look out of place!
Thanks all for comments/help to date!

mojo49, Jul 4, 9:17am
Plus4 is a gib finishing compound. I got mine from Placemakers. There are bound to be other brands. Wipe it on lightly with a trowel. Allow to dry and sand. Ask your DIY store for advice. It is easy to apply and sand. Well worth the effort to get a nice finish. I also used it to fill cuts in the wallpaper, nail holes, thumb tack holes etc. Not particularly quick drying but versatile product.

mojo49, Jul 4, 9:21am
The Placemakers paint I used has a stipple/rough finish when applied with a roller, which minimizes the visibility of the slightly raised pattern. Unless you are prepared to work through the process of removing multiple layers of wallpaper, having the walls gibstopped and sanded to a paint finish, before you apply a lick of paint this is the best option. It will never be perfect but it has made two tired looking houses I have done look smart and fresh and a pleasure to live in.

mojo49, Jul 4, 9:29am
I also reglued any lifted paper with PVA glue and drawing pins to hold it while the glue dried. Then wiped Plus4 over the pin holes. The prep takes quite a bit of time but the finish makes the effort worthwhile. It is still a fraction of the cost of removing the wallpaper etc.

kernal1, Jul 5, 8:48am
101 thanks, pity you live so far away mojo49 but until friends shifted was my favourite holiday destination. Now doubt I need the Plus 4, only holes are small ones where picture have been hanging, and will be replaced, but can sort the small areas of lifted paper as you suggest. Actually prefer a slight raised pattern, as paper presently is than a 'flat paint finish'. so maybe this is going to be a 'little easier and cheaper ' than I originally wondered! Days of painting, papering etc myself past! Now to find a painter :-)

happymullen, Aug 23, 8:17am
Bit of a "blonde" question, but if the wall paper has already been painted over before, do I still need another coat of sealer before I paint it again.? any other suggestions would be appreciated too. Trying to figure out how to freshen up a rental, tenants moving out after 6 years.