Painting wall paper?

Page 2 / 2
groovie1, Aug 23, 9:33am
A slightly raised pattern like embossed looks really nice when painted. Dec last year I painted over wallpaper that I'm almost positive came with the house in 1960. I found a small corner and tried separating it from the wall, whatever 'glue' they used then must have been designed to outlast the house and possibly into the next century. Scrapped that idea. Glued down loose bits, puttied up small holes with gap fill then wiped it all down with a well squeezed cloth rinsed in a bucket of warm water and a squirt of Sunlight Liquid then two coated the stairwell first with Resene Lumbersider waterborne low sheen interior/exterior paint recommended by the Resene guy - of course. Happy with that, I continued up into the two large living areas upstairs. So far so good, easy wash and wear for a heavy duty house. Of course once I did that I had to do the ceilings too.

zak410, Jan 6, 6:14pm
That a good way to do it, also before gluing the loose bits of paper go with a sharp 'Stanley knife' and cut all excess of wall paper along skirting boards, architraves and scotias.