CARPET & UNDERLAY

soxxy, Jan 13, 1:33am
We are putting down new carpet. Is it OK to put it onto old bubble underlay (green). It's still in very good condition and 'not dusty'. Also, how is underlay joined (or not). Is it joined like carpet with carpet tape or is it nailed down at the joins?

pinkybar, Jan 13, 7:25am
I've just lifted some carpet and the underlay is stapled with it seems like a million little staples has taken over an hour and I still don't have them all out. My carpet and underlay had to go because my tenants cat pee Grr . Ask the carpet layer who is putting in your new carpet if your underlay is still ok

rojill, Jan 13, 8:27am
If your carpet supplier has given you a guarantee on the new carpet you will need to let them know that you are thinking of using old underlay - - it may invalidate your warranty. Best to ask them to check the underlay before the new carpet is laid.

harrislucinda, Jan 13, 7:23pm
when we lifted our old carpet we found red bubble underlay it was only taped on the joins I t must have been the old carpet that felt hard walking on as now we have new it is very soft to walk on

nzjay, Jun 14, 12:13pm
Underlay ages from time and use. Every step compresses it a little more and eventually it becomes lifeless, with no bounce back.
Replace it.