My courgette plant

sheryl13, Nov 14, 12:43am
is so happy looking and new courgettes sprouting off it, BUT they get so big, then nothing ! they just stunt at about 5" long and skinny, whats wrong, too much water, not enough? they are certainly not thirsty

wheelz, Nov 14, 2:06am
Just a bit of waiting time maybe

rocky92, Nov 14, 2:29am
Are they male flowers prehaps? Google male, female flowers. Othetwise may need a hand wth pollination.

maclad, Nov 14, 3:58am
Perhaps at this early stage you need to help out with pollination. Take off a male flower, the one that has no zuchinni under the flower, remove petal and then touch it to the centre of the fruiting flower. This should help. I always hand pollinate my cucurbits early in the season.

sheryl13, Nov 14, 4:07am
na we waiting and they just go hard

sheryl13, Nov 14, 4:16am
dont think thats the problem, we have lovely growing courgettes and they get to a certain length and stunt

sheryl13, Nov 14, 4:18am
not flowers, you can pick them they are about half the size they should be, then turn hard

maclad, Nov 14, 4:40am
Maybe it is a disease called blossom end rot, very common, and I am not sure if copper sprays will help this or if you need to use something else like bravo. Try google there are organic alternatives and management practices you could try.

sheryl13, Nov 14, 4:44am
ah ok thanks

sheryl13, Nov 14, 7:01am
although there is no rot

lythande1, Nov 14, 6:33pm
LOL. "Courgettes are picky, and if their growth is held back by anything (too cold, too dry, slug attack, Barry Manilow playing in the background) the result will probably be a stunted plant and an indifferent harvest."

Courgettes need space, and plenty of water and nutrients.
Feed them, water when dry and wait. next thing you'll be back complaining they are marrows in 2 days.

sheryl13, Nov 14, 6:58pm
lol too true :0)

we are just to excited about our first produce :0)

lythande1, Jul 31, 5:19pm
LOL, yeah, I've been picking mine. The first few were big enough, the next 2 were on the small size but I was impatient.
Eventually I'll be sick of them. and they'll be in danger of marrowness.