Changing bathroom? where to start?

jacqui248, Oct 26, 6:21pm
Hi, i want to change my bathroom. i have bought a 2nd hand spa bath on line and can see on trade me here, a vanity i like, thats all i really want as want the shower over bath. so just tapware? but whom do i get to do this for me? a builder? a plumbe? both?

ryanm2, Oct 26, 6:37pm
I would be thinking how am I going to get the spa bath in to the bathroom first.

gpg58, Oct 26, 6:45pm
Both unless you are good at doing some of it, and a sparky for power connection.

mrploppy, Oct 27, 8:11am
You will definitely need a plumber to do the water & waste connections, and an electrician for any electrical work. Check if a building consent is required - don't let a builder say 'not required' as I recently had, then find that it was mandatory. The council may also require plans or specifications to be lodged before the work begins.

jacqui248, Oct 28, 11:27pm
so where do i start thogh? who do i contact first? i dont KNOW any tradespeople who to call. who are helpful

jonners2013, Oct 28, 11:37pm
Start your research and discussions with the appropriate tradespeople BEFORE you buy any more bits and pieces. The risk of buying the incorrect stuff is too great and you don't want to end up wasting your money.

as for finding a builder - speak to friends who have had work done, speak to neighbours, speak to anyone you can think of and see if they have dealt with a good builder. Failing that, start flicking through the yellow pages and get some to come give you quotes.

jacqui248, Oct 29, 1:40am
hmmm ok. need to find some tradespeople. i put a thing on builderscrack but got no response :-(

annies3, Oct 29, 3:14am
Try asking your local Mitre 10 or Placemakers, they deal with all the builders etc and know, them so would know who to recommend to you.

jonners2013, Oct 29, 3:53am
it's hard to go far without passing a ute with a building company logo on it. or if you pass a building site stop and ask them if they'd be interested in another job.

flagheaven, Oct 29, 4:09am
yip , your BIGGEST worry is not who is gunna do it BUT if you can get the "spa" in the room ?

maddie44, Oct 29, 4:50am
I would start with testing the bath to make sure it works properly before spending dollars getting it installed

jacqui248, Oct 29, 5:26am
yip flag and maddie, will check spa this weekend and make sure we can get it IN the bathroom. that is first on my list? so d oyou guys reckon i should ring a BUILDER first, not a plumber? i am going to aucks in a couple weeks, would really like to get everything i need down there as sooo much cheaper

maddie44, Oct 29, 5:41am
Depends on what you are doing and how much work the builder is doing.
If you are stripping wall linings etc yourself, I'd ring plumber and electrician once you have a floor plan worked out as it will be easier for them to work, (pre pipe and wire) before builder does walls etc. If builder is stripping out then ring him first.

sit1, Oct 31, 2:49am
We just upgraded our bathroom. One important thing I learnt is that you need to know what kind of water pressure you have before buying any taps are or shower heads etc. so check if you have mains pressure, low pressure or unequal pressure. We used an electrician to install new down lights, and an extractor fan etc. managed everything else ourselves as we were just replacing old with new, and keeping everything in same location.

jacqui248, Nov 2, 5:54am
good news the SPA goes as it should AND YES fits into the bathroom!

kmole, Nov 2, 6:26am
Why don't you book a consult with mico or similar?
Then you know what you need then if you go to ?Robertsons in Mt Wellington foe eg, they will then sell it to you through mico' sand if you've got a trade you might be able to get it at tradie prices not retail?

I've been to Robertsons recently, and they suggested that process, but I have a design done already as part of a large remodel of my home. Your builder can help with design possibly if you have a good idea of what you want?

bergkamp, Nov 2, 9:26am
get a builder who is reputable , thats all you have to do as he will have his own subbies that he knows and trusts

wendalls, Nov 3, 8:45pm
After reading of issues on my " neighbourly " website on the north shore, I'd choose a builder by word of mouth. If they need to advertise then I'd avoid them. Especially for a room exposed to moisture. It's worth it to wait months. Our 3 bathroom house in upmarket area has plumbing backwards as far as hot and cold goes, toilets are crap. lol. Basins wobble. 8 yrs old. Our brand new Bach had no sealant used in bathrooms and this was picked up but not remedied well so down the track we had water damage to walls. Have you seen the threads on new toilet issues? Read it if not. Good luck!

mkbooks, Nov 4, 4:04am
Think X2 about the shower over the bath? hopeless for anyone with disability; older people. When making renovations, you do need to consider re-sale

hazelnut2, Aug 9, 3:45am
You only need a consent if you are changing the configuration of the bathroom. I had a 'shub', small and inconvenient. Was able to pull out a dividing wall (checked for it to be non-load-bearing) and put in a full size spa bath with a shower over it as it didn't change the config. I did check with the council first though.