Spreading plant that likes crappy dry clay soil?

valleystream, Sep 1, 5:07am
Hi, I have a long clay bank that is rubbish clay and in summer it's soooo dry. Can anyone suggest a spreading plant, prefer one that flowers? Thanks so much.

nchun, Sep 1, 5:19am
Cotoneaster horizontalis and don't ever get talked into planting Hedera (Ivy). Cheers!

stevo2, Sep 1, 5:43am
Here is a photo of a quickly spreading plant on my rock retaining wall (to the right of my van)
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/404273378.jpg
Hopefully someone can tell you what its called.
Its normally vibrant green succulent with tiny red flowers for a lot of the year. The bees love it.
It just grows from a cutting with little maintenance and as it spreads, it digs into the ground and establishes new roots. In the photo it is growing over large boulders.

fhpottery, Sep 1, 6:18am
Black eyed Susan looks good. Pretty hardy.

rainrain1, Sep 1, 6:38am
Ice plant might be alright

paora-tm, Sep 1, 6:43am
Nasturtium - make sure you get a trailing variety. Kings Seeds gives suggestions for ground cover flowers.

dibble35, Sep 1, 8:25am
Isnt it a noxious weed?

floralsun, Sep 2, 9:50am
Groundcover rosemary?

lemming2, Sep 3, 4:42am
Spreading Osteospermums might be rather great. They flower furiously, respond well to a bit of chopping to reflower, and come in various sorts of flowers which can make for interest.

portly, Sep 4, 4:45am
This one, plant a.s.a.p, have bank facing south-west, clay, on side of island, so dry and windswept in summer, lost maybe 20% the first year, 5% the next, now totally covered and looks fantastic.
Never Ivy, agapanthus, or black-eyed Susan all invasive

valleystream, Sep 4, 9:15am
Thanks so much this is great info!

mkbooks, Sep 4, 9:30pm
Agapanthus + ivy are "noxious weeds" + garden centers are not allowed to sell them
What about Euphorbias- Rock roses- lavenders-alstroemarias grow OK in my crappy clay-get a bit of colour contrast

mkbooks, Sep 4, 9:32pm
What about Euphorbias- Rock roses- lavenders-alstroemarias grow OK in my crappy clay-get a bit of colour contrast, gazanias-arctotis-ivy geraniums- common jasmine grows OK too.

maccachic1, Sep 4, 10:58pm

bluefrog2, Sep 5, 1:54am
Nasturtium dies back completely in winter in Dunedin. If it does that where you are as well, you'll be left with a bare patch all winter. I'd go for a selection of succulents, and maybe some creeping rosemary and thyme.

fhpottery, Sep 6, 6:41am
Don't think so. It's a rare wall climber but I could be wrong. I was wrong once.

rita197, Sep 9, 11:10am
Coprosma repens 'Poor Knights' is very good. I assume the area is sunny? Check out native ground covers that spread to approx 1m wide that are happy in dry soil conditions.

lettice, Oct 5, 10:42am
There's a very nice prostrate macrocarpa that I've used on hard clay banks.