With the dry weather vege plants suffering

soxets, Jan 29, 6:05pm
Has any one tried putting foam in bottom of raised gardens to help keep moisture in.? A lot of my plants have died ,so looking for ideas for next year plantings

trade_menow, Jan 29, 7:42pm
perhaps get out there with a hose and water them.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 29, 8:21pm
I am trialing some soft wool type underfelt. I got a load as packing material in a trade and thought it might hold water rather well.

So far so good.

I hose every third day.

androth2, Jan 29, 8:42pm
the foam will drain the soil in a raised garden, put a waterproof barrier underneath to stop water draining away ,there's still the effect of the suns heat thought

harm_less, Jan 29, 8:59pm
Mulch. It will reduce evaporation but best to put it onto moist soil as it can also prevent water penetrating through. Also avoid mulch which has a high content of fresh woody material as it will rob nitrogen from the soil in its decomposition, especially if fine particle size (e.g. sawdust).

lythande1, Jan 30, 7:53am
Yuk. I wouldn't put anything like that in. Mulch, leaves are best. Pea straw if no leaves.
And get a moisture meter, they're cheap. You'd be surprised, the surface can look dry, but underneath. especially with mulch, it can stay wet for ages.
Haven't watered my passionfruit garden (which has some veges in it too) for over a month, it's still wet. And this is Hawkes Bay. dry as.

budgel, Jan 30, 9:18am
I have added soil to my potting mix because it holds water for longer.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 30, 9:36am
Homemade compost works well as a mulch too, and gets incorporated over the season with no extra digging in.

jan2242, Jan 30, 11:29am
Water when a finger poked in shows soil is dry. Often it looks dry on top and under it is still good. Plants will wilt in the hot sun regardless if they need watering or not. Check them once the sun goes down

amasser, Feb 2, 9:11am
If worried about water restrictions, try to re-use shower and washing machine water from rinse cycles.

jan2242, Feb 2, 9:55am
There's a proper name for doing this, but I can't remember. Bury terracotta pots to almost the top, hole filled with wax, fill with water and pop the saucer on the top. The water slowly comes out the pots, which helps with watering. I have them in my raised gardens and it does help.

harrislucinda, Aug 20, 11:18pm
use those crystals you put in pots it foams up when wet to keep moist worth a try in a veg garden